Not an American user?
DescriptionThe Legend of Kyrandia is the first in a trilogy of adventure games by Westwood. In this game the player controls Brandon, grandson of Kallak - a wizard of the realm of Kyrandia. Malcolm, a psychotic jester imprisoned in the past by Kallak, has broken free and wishes to take over the land as well as lay down his revenge. He turns Kallak into stone leaving him with only his eyes, so that Kallak is not denied his tears for Kyrandia's sake.
This is where Brandon steps in; returning home shortly afterwards only to find that his grandfather has been turned into stone, Brandon is being told by a messenger from the Realm of the Land that he has been chosen to embark on a journey that will rid this realm of Malcolm and his evil. He has to prove himself not only a hero, but a worthy heir to the crown and ultimately of becoming a king.
Throughout the journey Brandon will collect many items and also learn how to master magic. Available spells include disappearing, healing yourself, summoning ice upon fire and shifting into a wisp. Interaction with the environment is confined to highlighted items, and a single cursor is used for all actions, without differentiating precise commands.
- "凯兰迪亚传奇" -- Simplified Chinese spelling
- "דברי ימי קירנדיה" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Kyrandia 1" -- Informal title
- "Fables & Fiends - The Legend of Kyrandia, book one" -- Alternate/informal title
- "키란디아의 전설 " -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Characters: Clowns, Mimes, and Harlequins
- Games with manual lookup copy protection
- Legend of Kyrandia series
- Sound engine: AIL/Miles Sound System
|The Retro Spirit||DOS||Jun 20, 2007||6 out of 6||100|
|CU Amiga||Amiga||Dec, 1992||85 out of 100||85|
|Adventure Gamers||DOS||Jul 22, 2005||80|
|Adventure Advocate||DOS||Jan 21, 2005||80|
|GameTrip.net||DOS||Jul 13, 2009||8 out of 10||80|
|PC Joker||DOS||Sep, 1992||79 out of 100||79|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Oct, 1992||77 out of 100||77|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Amiga||Sep 23, 2011||14 out of 20||70|
|Aventura y Cía||DOS||Aug 15, 2001||20|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Game Compatibility||4||Unicorn Lynx (181614)
Apr 17, 2009
CD versionThe CD version adds speech and support for Windows 3.x (albeit completely identical to the DOS version).
DevelopmentThe Legend of Kyrandia is based on the text adventure Kyrandia: Fantasy World of Legends, a BBS game. It was designed and programmed by Scott Brinker and Richard Skurnick in 1988, and based on multiplayer interactive game concepts by Tim Stryker.
According to Rick Gush, Mike Legg and Brett Sperry played the game online, bought the rights to the game and were sued later on by the person who sold the game to them, but after several years the court case was decided in favor of them.
The game introduced a single-icon cursor for all actions, and Brett Sperry and Louis Castle, thinking that this was their secret weapon, presented a demo of the game to Ken Williams. But Ken showed them King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder which was in development then. It had its own new icon-driven interface, so it was a big letdown moment. Ken liked the game though and asked them if they want to sell Westwood to Sierra, but at that moment they preferred their freedom and control.
ExtrasThe Legend of Kyrandia CD-ROM version came with a free poster based on a painting by Roger Loveless.
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1994 – #2 Best Adventure in 1993 (Readers' Vote)
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #88 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1993 – #2 Best Adventure in 1992
- PC Games (Germany)
- Issue 01/1993– #3 Best Adventure in 1992
Related Web Sites
- Game Nostalgia (Provides extensive background info for The Legend of Kyrandia, pictures of the cast and examples of voice-overs, full credits with shots and info about the design team, a demo of the game, specific details about the game, various goodies, all musical themes, shots of every location in the game, saved games, a list of reviews, including a "nostalgic "review and tech specs.)
- Kyrandia Shrine - Germany (An Fan Site of the Kyrandia Trilogy. Only in German.)
- ScummVM (Get "The Legend of Kyrandia", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.)
- Walkthrough on Gamer Grand Central (No frills step-by-step walkthrough)
Amiga Credits (31 people)
27 developers, 4 thanks
Rick Parks, Ren Olsen, Louise Sandoval, Joseph B. Hewitt IV, Judith Peterson, Aaron E. Powell, Elie Arabian, Eric ShultsAudio Director:
Rick Gush (Coco)Quality Assurance: