🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Braid > Recommended literature

Sciere (930489) on 8/24/2008 10:22 PM · Permalink · Report

So short... what now? Since we don't have a section for it, here are some novels I enjoy and was reminded off often while playing the game (the first because of time travelling, the second because of the entire concept of the game).

Guy Chapman (1748) on 8/24/2008 10:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd be interested to see what other player's take on the ending is (I've completed it).

I'll check out the books. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sciere (930489) on 8/25/2008 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Me too, probably best to wait until the PC version has been released before spoiling all over this forum.

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/25/2008 10:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Great review, btw. I can't wait to lay my hands all over it.

However, to me, so far Mr. Blow comes off as a very arrogant person, so full of himself. (at least in the interviews, posts and articles I've read).

Maybe, he has the right to feel that way, I don't know. I hope this impression I have won't get in the way of enjoying Braid.

Sciere (930489) on 8/25/2008 2:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks. I felt the same way about him at first, but he put his neck out and made the game so you can judge him by that.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 8/25/2008 4:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Martin Amis' Time's Arrow had an interesting take on a reversed timeflow.

Sciere (930489) on 8/25/2008 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Looks very interesting, ordered, and it fits Braid as well =)

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/25/2008 7:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Interesting. The idea of a reversed timeflow was also employed to a great humorous effect in Red Dwarf episode "Backwards".

A slightly more sad and melancholic look can be found in the brothers Strugatsky novel Monday Begins on Saturday. In which there are actually two characters inside one called Janus, two of them moving in different directions through time.

And, of course, there is Slaughterhouse Five, the best work of fiction involving time-travel ever written.

Arguably, of course.

Sciere (930489) on 8/25/2008 7:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So it goes... one of the assigned books that left its mark. And by bringing the Strugatsky brothers to the table, it seems that Roadside Picnic is finally readily available as a paperback again. At last!

Sciere (930489) on 9/7/2008 3:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the recommendation, it seemed more of an experiment at first but there are some wonderful situations in the book. The text on the back is also very appealing for anyone wanting to pick it up.

Time's Arrow tells the story, backwards, of the life of Nazi war criminal, Doctor Tod T Friendly. He dies and then feels markedly better, breaks up with his lovers as a prelude to seducing them and mangles his patients before he sends them home...

Loved the part where he ponders his patients' creepy habit of knocking on his door after they leave and how he steals toys (and smiles) from children to sell them at the store in exchange for cash. Anything bad becomes good, and vice versa.