antstream
Written by  :  Maury Markowitz (261)
Written on  :  Jun 03, 2021
Rating  :  2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars

read more reviews by Maury Markowitz

Summary

Completely unplayable

The Good

In theory, OotS should have been a great game. Compared to other flight sims of the era, it had much better graphics and some cool-sounding missions. There were seventeen different flyable aircraft from four countries.

One interesting feature was the mission setup, which took place on a newspaper. For instance, if you selected the American missions against Germany, you might see an article about new German superweapons, and selecting that would face you off against jets. Clever idea, although some sort of "quick select" would have also been nice.

The Bad

However great it was in theory, the game was completely unplayable in reality.

All of the aircraft suffered from extreme control lag. I'm talking seconds here. The lag got worse and worse as the action heated up near the various combat points, and eventually, it became a slide show that was completely unplayable. I had a mid-level machine for the era, so I can't imagine what it might have been like on a more typical LCII or such.

When faced with this almost complete unplayability, the author Bryan Walker hand-waved away any criticism. He claimed the continual overcontrol due to input lag was in fact how these planes really flew. Reviewers in the magazines seemed to accept this claim uncritically, and gave it good reviews in spite of almost always admitting they couldn't fly it.

The Bottom Line

A great idea that needed some serious performance tuning that it never received.

antstream