Forums > Game Forums > Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords > Re: @#$^$%@#$^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zovni (10504) on 1/2/2011 6:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Lol, (I wanted to reply in the above thread, alas 3 years later its understandably locked).

Anyways I just ran into this: (Unicorn's quote) "Exactly, that's why I'm so sad. I understand if you killed Zovni. A person who calls Final Fantasy XII gay doesn't deserve anything better, anyway. Or Dr. von Katze - people who can't bear even one puzzle with cat moustache in an otherwise fantastic adventure should be shot on sight. Or Indra, whose complaints about bugs can drive the mildest person to homicide."

Hehe, well I just finished this thing and I wouldn't call it gay, but well, let me copypasta what I just posted on another forum:

"Anyways, this game gets a lot of praise for being the first title by ex Black Islers's Obsidian and the general consensus is that its a broken game with a lot of good stuff in it.

After playing it I can vouch for most of that. It's definitely a beta of a game, with a very uneven pacing and a clear lack of focus in terms of narrative coherence and gameplay structure. I long to discuss this game after finishing it, but suffice to say that it's buggy as hell and you need a restoration mod and a visit to the game's wiki page to make some sense of the most egregious plot holes in the storyline (which still remains a vague and incoherent mess by most standards).

There are some moments of brilliant scripting and player-driven narrative but the overall prognosis is that its a very interesting but nonetheless flawed product that needed another year or so in the development stage. Not just to correctly add the stuff that got cut out, but also to properly edit and join together the various uneven moments in the game as it is."

Slug Camargo (583) on 1/2/2011 8:51 PM · Permalink · Report

I only played a few Obsidian games but I already see a pretty firm trend: Outside of "gaping plot holes" (which could be more or less argued) you just described my experience with Fallout 2, Alpha Protocol and New Vegas.

Is there any game by these guys that doesn't answer to that description?

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 1/3/2011 3:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey, I suggested Rabbi Guru kills you for calling FF12 gay, not KOTOR2 :)

Come to think of it, Ff12 is a little bit gay. I mean, there is a big bearded guy there who wears pink pants... bear culture? :)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 1/3/2011 6:03 AM · Permalink · Report

I think it's time for Pseudo to step in and comment on how there seems to be an assumption that being gay is somehow bad or offensive.

God, I can't even remember these discussions. It feels so weird to read them now. I guess becoming a rabbi truly changed me.

I have a confession to make. I haven't played Kotor 2 with the restoration mod. I've thought about doing it, but haven't yet realized it yet. Could be very enlightening.

But I think I can agree on that it was an interesting experience.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 1/3/2011 6:30 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think it's time for Pseudo to step in and comment on how there seems to be an assumption that being gay is somehow bad or offensive.

I don't think either Zovni or I think being gay is bad or offensive; I think it's showing gays in such fashion is... well, maybe not offensive, but silly, for sure.

Look at it this way: are you against big-breasted girls? Hell no! Are you against stereotypical, repetitive portrayals of big-breasted female characters in countless video games?..

...hell no, actually :)

Zovni (10504) on 1/3/2011 2:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Well I haven't played the game without it so its difficult to say what's been added correctly. From what I understand though, a ton of small character moments (such as Kreia teaching you to wield a lightsaber against Visas and stuff that telegraphs that she is going to betray you early on), minor subquests (you find the thief in Dantooine, who is actually a lost padawan) the whole HK-50 factory, which at least explains why HK-47 dissapears from the game at Malachor and the final confrontation between Kreia and the party members among other non-interactive stuff.

As a whole I think it brings a lot of stuff to the game, but its as uneven and poorly integrated as the stuff that was originally in. So it doesn't make or break the game. Its just...more.