Troggle Trouble Math (Macintosh)

Also For
Written by  :  Katie Cadet (10133)
Written on  :  Apr 01, 2017
Platform  :  Macintosh
Rating  :  3.88 Stars3.88 Stars3.88 Stars3.88 Stars3.88 Stars
read more reviews by Katie Cadet

Summary

An excellent math adventure game for pre-1997 computers.

The Good

To begin this review, the one thing I liked is that the game adjusts the difficulty based on the grade level you are on. Most of the Math answers are difficult to find, so if you are not ready for the highest level, lower the grade level before you play it. It has really neat music in the main menu (but I've turned off the music for the most part), and features colourful animated graphics, but the graphics are not as crystal clear as with the other educational computer games out there.

The Bad

The game is way too fast on processors above 100MHz and even on newer operating systems such as Windows XP and Mac OS 9. I suggest a computer with a slower processor, a very old computer manufactured before 1997, and an older operating system such as Windows 3.1/95/98 (486/First-gen Pentium) or Mac OS 7/8 (68040/PPC), instead of current and up-to-date hardware. I tested this game on a Power Macintosh 6100/66 running Mac OS 8.1 and it worked as expected in the speed and state that is in, but not on my iMac G3 running Mac OS 9.2.1.

The Bottom Line

Overall, it is a very good math adventure game that MECC created in the mid-90s, but the speed is too fast on modern equipment and on newer operating systems. As before I tested this game on a Power Macintosh 6100/66 running Mac OS 8.1 and it worked perfectly for what the game is used for with that particular computer requirement, but I highly recommend it if your computer was created before 1997, like my Power Mac 6100, as the game and the machine I tested the game on were both released in 1994! All in all, it's worth a try on very old hardware!