Forums > Game Forums > The Walking Dead > How does the only one review per source work here?

Cavalary (11445) on 12/29/2012 2:37 PM · Permalink · Report

See 3 reviews from GameStar Germany, one for each of the first 3 episodes, approved, with 2 more, presumably for chapters 4 and 5, pending. Now with the "only one review per source" rule I was made aware of some time ago, this normally shouldn't happen, but here we have different episodes that as far as I understand can't be bought separately for the PC, so the separate episode entries don't have Windows as platform, which means they could only be submitted here anyway.

So do we also submit everything else for each episode here or should these GameStar entries be corrected somehow? Or should this only be for the whole pack, not allowing those for individual episodes, even if there isn't (and, as per the "what you can buy" game submission policies, won't be) any other place to put them?

Sciere (927007) on 12/29/2012 2:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

None of them should be listed here because they do not refer to the entirety of the game.

I wrote: "It's unfair to let a single source weigh in five times and five times a different portion of the game. If the entire game isn't reviewed, I suggest aggregating the different reviews' scores average, and if possible provide an abstract that can go for all five reviews."

Patrick Bregger (298879) on 12/29/2012 5:23 PM · Permalink · Report

With this logic, we also need to reject all screenshots and credits, except of the shot of the main menu. What happened to "all content for compilation exclusive games goes into the compilation entry"?

Also, I am sure that it was established some time ago that it is acceptable to add multiple reviews from the same source. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore, but the context was a magazine which reviewed a game twice, a few months apart, with different scores.

Sciere (927007) on 12/29/2012 5:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Those credits and screenshots are all part of the full game. They wouldn't be listed if the included games were available separately.

Certainly it's not right to let a single source weigh in five times based on 5 parts that make up the game? I think I know what example you are taking about and there too the two scores were combined into a single ranking I believe. Though I'm not entirely against it if there are multiple sources that reviewed each PC episode individually, that would even a lot out, as there may never have been a single source to review all of the PC episodes in a single review.

Patrick Bregger (298879) on 12/29/2012 5:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, I reply the same as I reply to people who, for example, submit "Hero's Quest" as alt title for "Hero's Quest: So You Want To Be A Hero" because of our broken search system: It is not correct to break rules to battle a system flaw. The system flaw will be fixed eventually.

One of the things we say in our MobyRank FAQ is: "MobyRank is a statistically accurate metric of critical success for a game using a weighted average of normalized rankings from individual critics." If this is true, the calculation recognizes multiple reviews/scores from the same source and weighs it in accordingly. If it does not, it is a system flaw which needs to be fixed.

Three other ranking source I randomly chose (IGN, Gamespot, Adventure-Treff) also have individual reviews of each episode.

Sciere (927007) on 12/29/2012 6:49 PM · Permalink · Report

All right, I stand corrected, feel free to resubmit them.

Cavalary (11445) on 12/29/2012 6:55 PM · Permalink · Report

So do I also submit those I picked up along the way and put aside, separately for each episode?

As for whole series reviewed at once, just submitted one, why I noticed this.

Sciere (927007) on 12/29/2012 7:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes

Cavalary (11445) on 12/29/2012 10:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hm, just two of them apparently, plus two others I discarded since they were ep 1 and 2 separate reviews also from Calm Down Tom, with the same rating of 9 as that for the series...

That is, assuming this standing corrected was just for this particular case, due to them only being released in a compilation and not separately as well for the PC. Or was it in general, meaning we can submit reviews as they're published, including multiple from the same source, anywhere again?

(There is a point in that, it being a system failure, which should count multiples from the same source as one when generating the overall rank, if it doesn't already, but since you said that I've been submitting them as one/averaged if I happened to find some, have a few among the 1100+ in queue now too, corrected others...)