DescriptionThe plot of Master of Magic is to become the dominant wizard on two 'planes' of existence, the normal Earth-like one and the fantasy based plane "Myrror". You can do this by destroying your competing wizards (up to 4 computer players) or by casting the Spell of Mastery.
Game play is carried out in a 2D top down perspective. You move your armies around the board, fighting monsters to get treasure, and more importantly 'nodes'. Once you control a node you can summon a spirit to meld with the node and gain mana from it. You also must build up your cities so you can support and train your army. City management is very much like Civilization. You also must allocate your mana for use, or research. You must research to learn new spells. You can do battle with the enemy in a quasi-isometric perspective or you can have the game simulate the battles.
The game ends when your home tower is destroyed; you banish all the other wizards (by destroying their home tower) or someone casts the Spell of Mastery.
- "シヴィザード 魔術の系譜" -- Japanese PlayStation release (Japanese spelling)
- "MOM" -- Informal abbreviation
- "Maître de la Magie" -- French title
- "Civizard: Majutsu no Keifu" -- Japanese PlayStation release
Part of the Following Groups
- Fantasy Creatures: Elves
- Games with randomly generated environments
- Sound engine: AIL/Miles Sound System
|Play Time||DOS||Nov, 1994||87 out of 100||87|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||May, 1995||85 out of 100||85|
|Play Time||DOS||May, 1995||85 out of 100||85|
|Power Play||DOS||Nov, 1994||85 out of 100||85|
|PC Joker||DOS||Nov, 1994||85 out of 100||85|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Nov, 1994||85 out of 100||85|
|PC Gamer||DOS||Jan, 1995||83 out of 100||83|
|Score||DOS||Dec, 1994||82 out of 100||82|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||DOS||Feb, 1995||62 out of 100||62|
|The DOS Spirit||DOS||Aug 20, 2006||3 out of 6||50|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|[MoM Notice]||3||Thibault Droulers (2)
Jun 05, 2012
|Dragonsword has moved to Realms Beyond||1||Hans Noe
Oct 23, 2010
|MoM unofficial patch v1.40||5||Sciere (528215)
May 16, 2010
|Active fan site at dragonsword.com||5||lilalurl (732)
Apr 24, 2010
ReferencesOne of the merchants may try to sell an item called "idspispopd". This is a cheat for Doom.
Release historyThe original game had an onslaught of bugs that almost prevented playing. Microprose released a patch and later a completely new version of the game (which had a different manual and disc). The original disc and manual can be considered a collector's item.
Unofficial patchThere is an fan-made, unofficial patch (v1.40) that focuses on the correction of many bugs still left in the 1.31 version and tries to improve the game's AI performance. The download link can be found in the related links section.
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #141 in the "150 Best Games of All Time" list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #13 Most Rewarding Ending of All Time
- May 1997 (Issue #154) - Introduced into the Hall of Fame
Related Web Sites
- Help Site for Master Of Magic (This is an interactive guide on Master of Magic. For those who do not have the manual paper because they download abandonware version of this video game.)
- Master of Magic: Hero Page (A site dedicated to everything about heroes in Master of Magic, including cheats, oddities and descriptions.)
- Sector 5, Ratai's Realm (Master of Magic Online Guide. Has other things like chat rooms and custom wizard submission.)