DescriptionLegends speak somewhere in space of the mystical planet Orion. Created by the Ancients, it remains unclaimed due to a powerful Guardian that orbits the planet and keeps out intruders. These same Ancients long ago fought a war against the Antarans and banished them into another dimension. Now... long after the Ancients empire has vanished, new races take to the stars, wishing to establish their own star empires, defeat the Antarans and become... The Master of Orion.
Master of Orion II: Battle At Antares is a turn-based 4x space empire game and is the sequel to Master of Orion, reinterpreting that game from scratch. Unlike the original the game can be played single player or with other human players. The player takes the role of a ruler of one of thirteen races, while also having the extra option of creating a custom one. They must manage planet resources to build ships and facilities, improving production. Exploration of the galaxy is done via scouts and colony ships, which can establish new planets as part of the empire. Research must also be done to discover and utilize new technologies. Alien civilizations which are encountered can be negotiated with, or ships can engage in combat in a turn-based grid system. As new systems are explored, random events are triggered and strange artifacts found in orbit around unexplored planets. Wormholes can also be found which allow transport across dozens of parsecs into new star systems.
The game can be won in different ways: Through conquest of all other races, Being voted supreme leader of the galaxy or destruction of the Antarans race.
- "银河霸主II：安特雷斯之战" -- Chinese spelling (Simplified)
- "MOO 2" -- Common abbreviation
- "Master of Antares" -- Working title
Part of the Following Groups
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||DOS||Mar, 1997||90|
|GameSpot||DOS||Nov 26, 1996||8.7 out of 10||87|
|PC Player (Denmark)||Windows||1997||84 out of 100||84|
|Power Play||Windows||Oct, 1996||82 out of 100||82|
|Mac Gamer||Macintosh||1997||80 out of 100||80|
|All Game Guide||Macintosh||1998||80|
|PC Xtreme||DOS||Oct, 1996||73 out of 100||73|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||DOS||Dec 27, 1996||68 out of 100||68|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||Windows||Dec 27, 1996||68 out of 100||68|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Has anyone witnessed the battle at Antares?||5||Alex Z (1877)
Oct 06, 2015
|Master of Orion II How to install in win7||1||Dim Gri (33)
Oct 24, 2011
Combat systemThe whole tactical ship combat system has many similarities with the system used in Renegade Legion: Interceptor. This not is not only restricted to technical aspects. If one examines the ship graphics in Interceptor more closely, there should be a moment of déjà vu.
DevelopmentThe folks at SimTex were calling this game Master of Antares when it was in early development. Later the name was changed to Master of Orion 2 so the game would be more easily recognized by consumers as the sequel to the award-winning original.
- Loknar’s ship was christened as “Avenger”, exactly the same as the ship you need in X-COM to travel to Cydonia. Even the graphics are similar! Take a look at them and compare! Coincidence?
- Another coincidence with X-COM? Perhaps the similarity between "Elerium" (the alien energy source from X-COM) and the "Elerians" (the matriarchal psychic race of Moo2) is intentional?
- In another X-COM coincidence... both Master of Orion games as well as the first X-COM game have an alien race named "Silicoid", however the look of the creatures is very different between the two game series.
- The Antaran Star Fortress (when you travel to their homeworld via Dimensional Portal) is commanded by a Ship Captain. His (her?) name is Xyphys, the Antaran Warrior, and has the following abilities: "Fighter Pilot* Helmsman* Ordnance* Security* Weaponry*" as noted in the moohero.lbx archive.
- Phasers, food replicators, transporters, federation type government, the human leader being bald, charismatic and democratic and a few of the ship designs may be references to Star Trek:The Next Generation.
- Origin Awards
- 1996 - Best Fantasy or Science Fiction Computer Game
Related Web Sites
- Master of Orion II Home Page (A Microprose Space resource management game. Lists race characteristics, improvements, technology and has a poll.)
- Master of Orion II Online (Fansite with blog, DOSBox guide and a comprehensive mod list (English))
- MicroProse Games: Master of Orion II (official page of the game at the MicroProse website, archived copy from 1996 by the Wayback Machine)
- The Orion Nebula Forum (Fan forum about multiplayer and the unofficial 1.4 patch (English))