DescriptionMega Man X is a robot designed by Dr. Light to choose his own path in life. Years after he is created, Dr. Cain finds X and mimics his design to create a race of such robots called reploids. When the sigma virus infects these reploids, causing them to commit acts of evil, it is up to Mega Man X and his partner Zero (who is quite powerful, contrary to what his name implies) to stop it.
- "洛克人X" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "ロックマンX" -- Japanese spelling
- "Rockman X" -- Japanese title
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Games made into comics
- Mega Man / Rockman games
- Mega Man / Rockman X series
- Protagonist: Robot
|Gamestyle||SNES||Aug 01, 2008||9 out of 10||90|
|Just Games Retro||SNES||Mar 17, 2014||90|
|Hobby Consolas||SNES||Jul, 1994||90 out of 100||90|
|Play Time||SNES||Apr 06, 1994||85 out of 100||85|
|Mag'64||Wii||Mar 18, 2012||8 out of 10||80|
|Nintendo Land||SNES||Sep 13, 2003||78 out of 100||78|
|FNintendo||New Nintendo 3DS||Jul 27, 2016||7 out of 10||70|
|Svenska Hemdatornytt||SNES||Oct, 1994||68 out of 100||68|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Feb, 1996||63 out of 100||63|
|Digitally Downloaded||iPhone||Jan 14, 2012||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentApparently, the character Zero was meant to be Mega Man X and replace Mega Man as the protagonist. However, Keiji Inafune was concerned that players would find it hard to relate to a protagonist who was so different from the original Mega Man that X was created as a separate character and Zero was made his sidekick. Nine years later, Zero finally received his own series.
EndingAfter beating the game, when the game freezes on the "Thanks for Playing" screen, wait about a minute or so, and the face of Sigma will pop up and he will say you some subliminal message claiming you didn't actually beat him, and that you should meet again soon.
ExtrasThe game came packaged with a free Capcom Pad, a 6-button Gamepad made by Capcom to use with this game, as well as other games.
ReferencesThe snake robots in Launch Octopus' stage are called Utuboros, which are obviously a reference to Oroborus, an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon swallowing its own tail and forming a circle, symbolizing the ideas of cyclicality and primordial unity.
SalesAccording to publisher Capcom, Mega Man X has sold 1.16 million copies worldwide since its initial release (as of June 30, 2016).
- In the original console version Ryu's (from the street fighter series) hadoken was included as a secret weapon which once found had to be triggered by the familiar down-forward-fire movement in order to fire. For the PC version, they scraped the "secret" part of it, and gave it to you from the get-go, just hold down the fire button and let go (as seen in the screenshots section), however its nowhere near as powerful as originally intended.
- The original Super Nintendo version uses passwords, the PC version has a save system.
- Electronic Gaming Monthly
- January 1994 (issue 54) - Game of the Month
Related Web Sites
- Mega Man Central (Information on all Mega Man games, including little known titles such as the PC series and Japan only games.)
- Mega Man X: A First-Timer's Perspective (Alex's thoughts after playing through Mega Man X for the first time.)
- OC ReMix Game Profile (Fan remixes of music from Mega Man X.)