Not an American user?
DescriptionIn the third installment of the Metal Slug series, General Morden is back and he plans to establish a new world order. The player guides one of the heroes: Marco, Tarma, Eri, or Fio, as they blast their way through side-scrolling levels with a unique theme, filled with countless enemies and bosses. The player has to free hostages and can ride bizarre vehicles such as camels, elephants, tanks, and robots.
In the Xbox version, additional game modes, such as Storming the Mothership and Chubby Isle Paradiso, can be unlocked upon completing the five arcade stages. A co-op mode has been included, but no online multiplayer. The only Xbox Live feature available allows the player to compare single-player scores.
- "合金弹头3" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "메탈슬러그3" -- Korean spelling
- "メタルスラッグ３" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Arcade Archives series
- Games referenced in literature
- Genre: Side scrolling run and gun
- Metal Slug series
- Middleware: CRI
|Aliens on the loose||Arcade||Lisa Müller (241)|
|Insert Credit||PlayStation 2||Jun 23, 2003||9.7 out of 10||97|
|VicioJuegos.com / uVeJuegos.com||PlayStation 2||Jun 01, 2006||86.5 out of 100||86|
|Gamegravy||PS Vita||Apr 15, 2015||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Play.tm||Xbox||Mar 10, 2005||84 out of 100||84|
|Game Informer Magazine||Xbox||Jul, 2004||8 out of 10||80|
|Digitally Downloaded||Nintendo Switch||Apr 06, 2017||80|
|Diehard GameFan||Xbox||Jun 09, 2004||7.7 out of 10||77|
|4Players.de||Android||Jul 24, 2012||75 out of 100||75|
|IGN||Xbox 360||Jan 03, 2008||7.4 out of 10||74|
|Netjak||Xbox||Jun 10, 2004||7.1 out of 10||71|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentMetal Slug 3 was the last game in the Metal Slug series that was developed by SNK. The stages that are set underwater are a reference to Irem's 1993 classic, In the Hunt. This is understandable as many of SNK's Metal Slug developers originally worked for Irem.
- Metal Slug 3 features a number of references to sci-fi movies. For example, Mission 2 features a guest appearance by the Men in Black. The carnivorous alien plants in Mission 4 are a parody of the sci-fi musical comedy, The Little Shop of Horrors In Mission 5, the squid-like aliens are a homage to the movie, Independence Day. Also in Mission 5, the alien clones you face seem to parody the sci-fi movie classic, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Finally, the last boss battle seems to be slightly inspired by the ending sequence in Alien: Resurrection. One of the hostages (who also appeared in Metal Slug 2 & Metal Slug X) known as Hyakkutaro will join the fight by shooting fireballs.
References to the game
- The game is referenced in the 2012 non-fiction novel Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo. It is set in a slum in Mumbai, India and the game is described when one of the trash scavenger watches two boys play the game:
One night in late November, Sunil was in the game shed after an unprofitable day of scavenging, watching two boys at one of the red consoles play Metal Slug 3. On the video screen, guerrillas were fighting policemen and mutant lobsters in the streets of a bombed-out city.Several other games are mentioned in the book, including Bomberman, which is linked to a terrorist attack in the city.
Related Web Sites
Arcade Credits (24 people)
Akio (as Akio)Background Chief:
Susumu (as Susumu)Graphic Design:
Cannon (as Cannon), Tomo (as Tomo), Kozo (as Kozo), Kuichin (as Kuichin), Flying Fox (as Flying Fox), Curry (as Curry)Programming (Wizard):
Andy (as Andy)Programming (Enemy's Brain):