Forums > Game Forums > Blasteroids > Tengen

vedder (70767) on 4/29/2010 9:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Is there a reason all the releases of this game list Atari Games Corp as the developer instead of Tengen which is mentioned in all the screenshots? A DOS version is pending and I was wondering if I should change the developer to Tengen which seems more likely.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (94213) on 4/29/2010 9:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Because it's an arcade port. Tengen was the home games division of Atari Games at the time, so licensing for Atari's games went through Tengen even if they weren't involved with development or publishing.

vedder (70767) on 4/29/2010 10:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Ok, but it gets more complicated. While most of the versions we have on file say "conversion by Teque". The DOS release has no credit for Teque, most likely because Tengen did the conversion. Very likely many of the other conversions are actually conversions of this Tengen conversion.

Kabushi (261192) on 4/29/2010 2:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Why do you think that's likely?

vedder (70767) on 4/29/2010 2:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Because our description of Tengen states they make home conversions for Atari arcade games.

FYI the title screen of the DOS version is exactly the same Amiga/MSX/ZX versions with the omission of the "conversion by Teque software".

Kabushi (261192) on 4/29/2010 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Yet, if they did port it themself then one would suspect them to publish it too. Instead it's licensed to Image Works for a Euro only (likely) release.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (94213) on 4/29/2010 6:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Ok, but it gets more complicated. While most of the versions we have on file say "conversion by Teque". The DOS release has no credit for Teque, most likely because Tengen did the conversion. Very likely many of the other conversions are actually conversions of this Tengen conversion. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Even if Tengen did one conversion, then all the other conversions are based on Tengen's, it's still Atari Games that did the original game. We have several other games in similar situations. If it's an arcade port, but the conversion was neither developed nor published by Tengen, then by our current standards Tengen don't get credited, even if they have a copyright and a logo on the title screen.

Edit: Incidentally, I should submit corrections for these games because what's on file is totally inconsistent.

vedder (70767) on 4/29/2010 7:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok, so I can approve the DOS version with release info:

Published by: Image Works
Developed by: Atari Games Corporation

With the assumption that probably an unknown party ported it?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (94213) on 4/29/2010 9:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Ok, so I can approve the DOS version with release info:

Published by: Image Works
Developed by: Atari Games Corporation

With the assumption that probably an unknown party ported it? [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Sounds reasonable to me. Port credit can always be added later.

It's likely by Teque anyway, if the other ports were. This is the exact same situation, where all the ports except the DOS version have a Teque logo on the title screen. The credits for the DOS version are all Teque people, too, though, so I'm not quite sure why their DOS versions don't mention the company by name...surely if credits for this DOS version show up, then we'll know who to credit. :)

Terok Nor (41968) on 4/30/2010 7:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Woah, will someone correct the release info on Robot Monsters? That's just a mess.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (94213) on 4/30/2010 8:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Correction already pending. :)