Written by  :  William Shawn McDonie (1180)
Written on  :  Apr 14, 2003

read more reviews by William Shawn McDonie

Summary

What? Thats it?

The Good

First I loved the orginal paperboy game from the 8-bit system. So I was curious what the 64 version was like. What I found was some very "toon" like graphics, but still the same old game. Which was a good thing considering how fun the first game was. The sound was good, but not exciting. Controls were easy to moderate. It only took about 20 minutes to really get the hang of the different controls. Like I said before the graphics were a little strange, but I found them to be excellent and actually added quite a bit to the fun.

But what makes this game fun is still the same, hitting everything with rolled up newspapers. Nothing like smacking a irate customer with the daily news.

The Bad

All the good things said, paperboy took about 2 hours to beat. Considering I havent purchased a new console since the super-nintendo (I just got the 64 this week) its idoiticly easy. This means for the experienced players it will be a snap, and its done. Its done so quick for two very bad reasons. First you only get about 5 levels and one end boss. Two, the gameplay is dirt easy. Basicly the few levels you do get only differ with scenery. The challenge really doesnt change at all. And the end boss is probably the easiest end boss I have every seen. Not just did I get him on the first try, but it wasnt even close. When the game ended I was totaly shocked that the game ended. There is no final "end movie" it just tells you to try to play the same few levels at a different difficulity level. If I had paid 50 bucks for this when it came out I would have been hot.

The Bottom Line

Its ok to borrow, or to buy under 5 bucks. Past that, it is simply too little for too much.