antstream tournament
Written by  :  Ian Dawson (10)
Written on  :  Dec 28, 2013
Platform  :  Nintendo 64
Rating  :  4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars

read more reviews by Ian Dawson

Summary

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is just plain fun!

The Good

- Turok is filled with pure unadulterated, Doom-like fun. Shooting dinosaurs and bad guys is just a blast, and keeps you pumped up.

- For 1997, the graphics in this game are excellent. At the time, most first-person shooters were Doom clones. There was Quake, but that was only on the PC when Turok was released.

- The atmosphere in this game is excellent, and so is the music. You really do get the "jungle" feeling.

- You are a magical Native American who yells "I AM TUROK!" Can we just appreciate that?

The Bad

- The platforming segments in this game are often tedious to play. This is because, in my opinion, controls for first-person shooters on the N64 are dated and a little difficult to work easily, and makes it hard to platform freely.

- Fog effects everywhere!

- Boss battles, or just battles against bigger enemies, are a little underwhelming.

* Not a complaint from me, but the game is very repetitive. This is fine by me, and actually adds to the fun in my opinion, but I can definitely see why others would find this to be a problem.

The Bottom Line

Turok is just a fun game. It delivers fast action, and more importantly, dinosaurs. No, it's not perfect, but it's still a pretty enjoyable game.

antstream tournament