Forums > Game Forums > NES Open Tournament Golf > Are the NES and Famicom version 2 separate games?

Scribblemacher (195) on 1/14/2013 8:11 AM · Permalink · Report

The NES version and Famicom versions of this game are very different. They have 2 courses in common, Japan and UK. The NES version has a 3rd US course while the Famicom version has 3 more courses. The Famicom version also lacks a few features, like tournament mode, and has different music.

After playing the two, they feel more like two different games that use the same engine. What's the appropriate mechanism on Moby to make these differences clearer, since they are pretty significant? I put in a request to add a bit to the description, but maybe "NES Open Tournament Golf" and "Mario Open Golf" should be considered different games?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93757) on 1/14/2013 8:29 AM · Permalink · Report

If regional versions of a game have significant differences, they can certainly have separate entries. All you need to do is add the second entry, file a split correction to the first entry to have the data moved over, and ideally edit the descriptions so they link to each other. :)

Scribblemacher (195) on 1/15/2013 12:25 AM · Permalink · Report

I guess my question then is would the differences between NES Open and Mario Open be significant enough to warrant two titles? Between the two, there are 7 unique course, but they share only two. The Tournament mode in the NES version is its main draw, which the Famicom version lacks.

(I'm also assuming that all Famicom titles get lumped under "NES" on Moby, despite the many differences.)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93757) on 1/15/2013 6:00 AM · Permalink · Report

The rule of thumb is generally "can the differences be easily and completely summed up in one line?" If not, then you've probably got enough differences for a new entry. If the game has multiple different courses and modes between regions, I'd say that's definitely enough to warrant a split.

And yes, all Famicom games, including Disk System games, are included within "NES".