🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > A Nightmare on Elm Street > Alternate version

super_gamer on 1/10/2011 9:03 PM · Permalink · Report

A preview on this game was shown in Nintendo power in 1988. An early beta of the game featured "playing as Freddy Krueger". Your objective is to track down and kill the teenagers before they find and bury your bones. A few screen shots exist on nintendoage.com

Adzuken (836) on 1/10/2011 10:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Yep. Details are scarce, but there was indeed an early version which had the player in the role of Freddy. Even promotional material was produced advertising the game in that state. It's pretty obvious why it wasn't released that way. Nintendo's censorship policies back then were incredibly tight, and that concept alone would have been too much. Too bad for Rare, because that concept seems much more appealing than what was ultimately released, and having to rework it probably set them back pretty far.

You should submit that information as trivia.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/11/2011 2:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wow... now that would have been a better game.

But are you sure this isn't simply a good photoshop? I mean, "Enteractive" seems a little suspect.

EDIT: Oh, I see... they trademarked the word. Was that LJN's phrase? As in "Interactive Entertainment?"

Adzuken (836) on 1/11/2011 3:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm pretty sure it's the real deal. This is the Nintendo Power article super_gamer was referring to. It can be found in Nintendo Power's Issue 2 (The one with the infamous Castlevania 2 cover), in their pak-watch section.

[Q --start BurningStickMan wrote--]EDIT: Oh, I see... they trademarked the word. Was that LJN's phrase? As in "Interactive Entertainment?" [/Q --end BurningStickMan wrote--] Certainly sounds like that period of gaming's advertising, doesn't it? It's badical!

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/11/2011 3:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Looks like it was indeed an attempt at marketing speak.

On a side note, our NES cover image sure is crappy.