Super Mario Bros. Trivia (NES)
1001 Video GamesThe NES version of Super Mario Bros. appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
CerealSuper Mario Bros. was popular enough to have a breakfast cereal based on the game called the "Nintendo Cereal System", and was co-packaged with Legend of Zelda cereal. The sweetened corn bits were in the shape of Mario, Koopa Troopa, Goomba, Bowser, and a Super Mushroom.
NES supplementFor a time, Super Mario Brothers was the game packaged with a new NES system, along with the Zapper Light Gun and the game Duck Hunt.
ParodyJoe Dixon released a spoof version of Super Mario Bros. in late 2002. It replaces Mario, Toadstool, and the enemies with characters from South Park.
SalesAccording to the Guiness Book Of Records, as of 2003 Super Mario Bros. is the best-selling video game of all time, with a total of 40.23 million units sold worldwide, as of 1999. The whole Mario Bros. series has 26 games and sold over 152 million copies since 1983, according to Guiness.
It is widely believed that the billionth game unit sold by Nintendo was Super Mario Bros..
TV seriesSuper Mario Bros. was popular enough to have a TV cartoon based on it in the late 1980's-early 1990's. It starred "Captain" Lou Albano as Mario, and Danny Wells as Luigi in the live-action segments, and animated Mario cartoons Monday-Thursday (Friday was for cartoons based on Legend of Zelda).
- February 2006 - #1 out of 200 Games of their Time
- Issue #4 - #66 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time" list
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue 100) - #2 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time list"
- October 2005 (Issue 138) - one of the "Top 25 Most Influential Games of All Time"
- #1 Game of All Time (or revolutionary graphics and gameplay at the time of its release)
- Official Nintendo Magazine
- Greatest Nintendo Game
- Power Play
- 1987 - Best NES Game '87
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #24 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 37 - #23 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll