DescriptionThe tiny village West Harbor, located not far from the thriving city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region, served once as a battlefield between an evil being known as the King of Shadows and the defenders of Neverwinter. The protagonist's mother was killed during that battle; the elven ranger Daeghun took care of the orphan, raising him (or her) as his own child.
Their peaceful existence comes to an unexpected end when a group of githyanki attack the village just after its traditional festival. It appears that the attack was somehow connected with a mysterious silver shard that was left in a nearby cave shortly after the battle against the King of Shadows. The protagonist then leaves for Neverwinter, searching for Duncan, Daeghun's half-brother, who might have more answers.
Neverwinter Nights II is a follow-up to Neverwinter Nights. The two games share a common setting, and both utilize the AD&D 3.5 edition rules. As its predecessor, the game comes with a multiplayer feature and a tool set that allows players to create their own campaigns. However, the gameplay style differs from that of the predecessor by focusing on party-based combat, character management, and dialogue.
In the beginning of the game the player creates the main character, choosing his or her appearance, race (including planetouched, half-orc, and sub-races such as drow or moon elf), class (out of twelve available), and feats. The 3.5 edition of the AD&D rule set introduces prestige classes, into which regular classes may evolve, such as for example warpriest as a prestige class for clerics.
During the course of the game, various characters with their own motivations will join the protagonist. An active party may include up to four characters. The combat system is similar to that of Baldur's Gate: battles evolve in real time, and the player is able to pause at any moment to issue specific orders to characters. Automatic behavior routines for each character are available as well. Companions react to the player's choices during quests, and develop relationships with the protagonist depending on their ethical and personal preferences.
The player character eventually acquires a stronghold that can be used as a base of operations. The player can repair the stronghold, improve its defenses, and use it to repel sieges and generate income. It is possible to choose specific ways of using resources to upgrade the keep, recruit merchants, and command guards.
- "絕冬城之夜2" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "无冬之夜2" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Wu Dong zhi Ye 2" -- Romanized Chinese title
- "NWN 2" -- Common abbreviation
- "네버윈터나이츠2" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: Electron
- Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting: Forgotten Realms
- Dungeons & Dragons (D&D / AD&D) licensees
- Fantasy Creatures: Dwarves
- Gameplay feature: Blacksmithing
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Skill distribution
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Gameplay feature: Paper doll inventory
- Middleware: FaceFX
- Middleware: SpeedTree
- Neverwinter Nights series
|Continuing the best tradition||Windows||Unicorn Lynx (181699)|
|The very best in "hands-off" role-playing||Windows||András Gregorik (65)|
|Obsidian Entertainment does it again...||Windows||Rambutaan (562)|
|I was expecting Neverwinter Nights 2 NOT Neverwinter Knights of the Old Republic!||Windows||Indra was here (20921)|
|IGN||Windows||Nov 03, 2006||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Game Captain||Windows||Nov 19, 2006||85 out of 100||85|
|Bit-Tech||Windows||Jan 02, 2007||8 out of 10||80|
|Game Revolution||Windows||Nov 09, 2006||B||75|
|Gamer.nl||Windows||Nov 18, 2006||7 out of 10||70|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Windows||Nov 09, 2006||14 out of 20||70|
|Factornews||Windows||Nov 28, 2006||7 out of 10||70|
|MacLife||Macintosh||Jul 17, 2008||60|
|1UP||Windows||Nov 13, 2006||6 out of 10||60|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Interesting mods in development.||9||St. Martyne (3655)
Jan 15, 2008
Jul 26, 2007
Pre-order extrasIf you pre-ordered the game, you could get a Pre-Order DVD with a Serial Number which gave you early access to the Toolkit, granted you an exclusive In-Game-Talent called "Merchant's friend" which unlocks a special item that lowers the prices when you buy from Merchants and contained the Fan Site Kit.
- 2006 – #5 PC Game of the Year
- 2006 – Best Character of the Year (PC) (for Khelgar Ironfist)
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 03/2007 – #3 Best RPG/Adventure Game in 2006 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- GameFAQs NWN 2 Files (Strategy Guides, Walkthroughs, Tips, Maps and more)
- Neverwinter Nights 2 (Official game website)
- Peter Cook's Walkthrough (Comprehensive solution for Neverwinter Nights 2)
- Reach a Crossroad (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Neverwinter Nights 2, with commentary provided by Game Designer Tony Evans (February, 2008).)
- UHS: Neverwinter Nights 2 Hints (Universal Hint System file contains a volume of information on strategies, classes and quests, all arranged in question and answer format.)