DescriptionIn an all new 2D side-scrolling adventure, Mario and Luigi return after nearly fifteen years. The first traditional Mario Bros. game since Super Mario World.
The character models are rendered in real time 3D, allowing for a far greater number of moves ever before seen in a Mario Bros. title. Also as the game is on DS, the touch screen allows players to store an additional power-up and view the distance still to go in a level.
Bowser and Bowser Jr. has kidnapped Princess Peach, and of course, it is up to Mario and Luigi to rescue her and take down the troublemakers. There are eight new worlds to explore, much like in Mario 3: they are Plains, Desert, Tropical Island, Forest, Ice, Mountains, Sky, and Bowser's Lair.
The eight worlds have eighty distinct levels as well as many secrets that will only be found on careful examination. There are also many new power-ups (the mega mushroom and Koopa shell, for instance) for the brothers to collect.
- "新超级马里奥兄弟" -- Chinese spelling (Simplified)
- "Xin Chaoji Maliao Xiongdi" -- Chinese title
- "NSMB" -- Abbreviation
- "ニュー・スーパーマリオブラザーズ" -- Japanese spelling
- "뉴 슈퍼 마리오브라더스" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|GamePro (Germany) (IDG)||Jul 17, 2006||90 out of 100||90|
|Gamezine||Jun 30, 2006||18 out of 20||90|
|411mania.com||Jul 16, 2006||9 out of 10||90|
|N-Europe||Jun 08, 2006||9 out of 10||90|
|The Next Level||May 31, 2006||90|
|GamePro (US)||May 19, 2006||4.5 out of 5||90|
|Meristation||Jun 29, 2006||9 out of 10||90|
|ZTGameDomain||2006||9 out of 10||90|
|Press Start Online||Jun 13, 2006||17 out of 20||85|
|Factornews||Jul 18, 2006||6 out of 10||60|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|So far, I've got mixed feelings...||1||DarkBubble (376)
Sep 28, 2007
CompetitionTo celebrate Mario's 20th anniversary, Nintendo Australia ran a competition that anyone who purchased an Australian copy of New Super Mario Bros. could enter. The major prize was a trip for 4 to America to visit the Nintendo World Store with $1000 spending money. There were also twenty runner-up prizes of limited edition "Happy! Mario 20th" T-shirts.
PackagingThe Japanese version of the game was packaged in a special Nintendo DS case - instead of the plastic being black, it was bright yellow.
SalesIn December 2010, New Super Mario Bros. became the first Nintendo DS game to sell over six million copies in Japan. It accomplished this after being on the market for almost five years. It's also the best selling game worldwide for the system, with 30.79 million copies sold in total.
- 2006 – Best DS Game of the Year
- 2006 – Best Dexterity Game of the Year
- GamePro (Germany)
- February 01, 2007 - Best Handheld Game in 2006 (Readers' Vote)
- 2006 – #2 Handheld Game of the Year
- 2006 – Nintendo DS Game of the Year
- 2006 – Nintendo DS Game of the Year (Gamers' Vote)
- 2006 – Nintendo DS Platformer of the Year
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2006 - The Official Nintendo Magazine Nintendo Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- iQue DS page (Page for the Chinese iQue release.)
- New Super Mario Bros. (Official game web site by Nintendo of America.)