🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > BioShock > Since I can't reply to the old topic...

Lumpi (189) on 3/7/2009 3:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I'll open this new thread. :D

Once again, an article about Bioshock ( Bioshock Postmortem ) that is painful to read for a fan of System Shock 2. Take this quote, for example, it gives me shivers when I think of what Bioshock could have been:

In terms of design, we created a depth and density of game systems that fit into a game about character building and choice, but would not have been competitive as an FPS. Around the time that the game went into alpha, we took a hard look at that gameplay and realized that, although there were many choices, they weren't very compelling. This was because we hadn't been thinking as much about making a shooter as we should have, and many of our key interactions (weapons tuning, plasmids, length of AI engagement) were designed and tuned for a slower and more cerebral experience. To put it another way, nerdy RPG-like stat changes just didn't seem meaningful in the vibrant and dangerous world of Rapture.

It's basically a big, gaping "FU" in the direction of any fan of System Shock 2.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/7/2009 8:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I see what you say and I definitely would've loved to see those things implemented.... but still, I can't possibly look down on Bioshock. It's just too lovely <3

And with that teasing website for a sequel now, and all...