🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World > Copying Might and Magic II

mczolton (2) on 5/24/2007 3:06 PM · Permalink · Report

I recently purchased a copy of Might and Magic II on 5.25 floppy disks for the Apple II. Since these disks are going on 20 years old, I would like to make and play from copies of the disks. Unfortunately, the first disk is copy protected in such a way that, although a copy of the disk will boot and run, it won't let you save data to the second disk. If I run the game from the original version of the first disk, I can save data to the copy of the second disk. I tried to use CopyII+ to make a copy of the disk, but I am not very familiar with the application. Any insight is appreciated.

mczolton (2) on 5/24/2007 6:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Solution:

This showed up in Computist #82 ... from: The Blade

Scan Disk A for the byte sequence 6E FF 0F A0 00 98.

Edit the sector and replace above with A9 40 8D FF 0F 60.

The Blade found the code starting at Track $1E, Sector $03, Byte $DF.

Myth Speak on 5/30/2007 5:05 AM · Permalink · Report

I have a simular problem. I bought the game in '89 and my original disk is quite old. I'd like to be able to either copy it (which, after many hours searching online looks to be impossible) or somehow hex edit it so that my copies will allow me to save my characters. Does anyone know of a way to do this for the PC-DOS 3.5" 720k version?