🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss > Should I be an Avatar?

St. Martyne (3648) on 9/29/2008 7:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I am wondering if I'll break the game by stealing from the friendly folk of the Abbys. I do understand that It's not exactly a virtuous thing to do, but King's Goldthirst treasury is soo tempting I just can't resist.

So, are there any penalties for the un-virtuous way of playing?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/30/2008 12:59 PM · Permalink · Report

If a person sees you stealing then he will attack (or just get annoyed or less friendly, it depends how friendly his disposition towards you was before). Anyway, in case the person who saw you stealing attacks you and you kill him, then the whole colony will be against you. If you hide for a while they'll come out of their berserk mode, but they will still be mad at you and any slightest mistake (bump against someone in the wrong way) will trigger the attack again.

So steal, but steal carefully.

I might be confusing Ultima Underworld with Ultima 9 for a moment, but perhaps your mana was also tied to your virtuosness. Perhaps.

Anyway, Ultima Underworld rocks. Most brilliant dungeon crawler ever.

St. Martyne (3648) on 10/1/2008 7:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks.

St_Martyne, his hands untied.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/30/2008 5:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]I am wondering if I'll break the game by stealing from the friendly folk of the Abbys. I do understand that It's not exactly a virtuous thing to do, but King's Goldthirst treasury is soo tempting I just can't resist.

So, are there any penalties for the un-virtuous way of playing? [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

Since when is stealing un-virtuous in Ultima? It totally mimicks real-life. Getting caught while stealing is un-virtuous. Stealing without anyone noticing is called skill. Same as real life. :p

Hmm...just realized a possible bad influence of Ultima. Heh.