Forums > Game Forums > WarCraft: Orcs & Humans > More Macintosh madness

Dae (7182) on 5/27/2008 10:43 PM · Permalink · Report

What is with these inexistent(?) Macintosh releases of old DOS games?

All three, WarCraft: Orcs & Humans, WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness and WarCraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal have been listed as Mac released games.

While none of the original boxes state anything else other than "MS-DOS CD-ROM" (or "Compatible with MS-DOS, Windows® 95 and Windows® 3.1. The WarCraft II: Battle.net Edition actually was released for Macintosh.

Unless I'm gravely mistaken, these three games have never been released on the Macintosh in their original format. Someone's mistaking DosBox Mac release for a Mac platform release of these games?

Can anyone confirm this?

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/27/2008 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, look here, see what you think.

Dae (7182) on 5/27/2008 10:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh so they still have a WarCraft 1 site around, that's nice.

I just found it weird that no-one uploaded Mac cover art here and now that I've seen that site, it's pretty much the only trustable source online for it.

EDIT: Also they don't seem to have sold any kind of Mac version on their site, which also made me question this.

Игги Друге (46654) on 5/28/2008 12:10 AM · Permalink · Report

What makes you think that Mac and PC versions come in the same package?

Dae (7182) on 5/28/2008 12:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Nothing.

That's why I said I wonder why no-one has uploaded the Mac cover art, and why doesn't any online auction or game retailer sell the Mac version of WarCraft 1 and 2.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 5/28/2008 1:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, couldn't it be that the Mac and pc versions are the same ? When I got StarCraft, it says "MAC and PC software" on the front of the box.

Dae (7182) on 5/28/2008 2:02 AM · Permalink · Report

StarCraft is a newer game, my copy also says "PC/MAC CD-ROM". But as for the three WarCraft games, they only say "MS-DOS CD-ROM" on them.

Игги Друге (46654) on 5/29/2008 1:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Macintosh was one of our latest platform additions and there are few Mac gamers. That's why there is no cover art.

Terok Nor (41846) on 5/28/2008 7:21 AM · Permalink · Report

Since I added all three, I'm certain they all exist. I do my research. For WC1, you can look at the DOS back covers, where there is something about "multiplayer between Mac and PC versions". Beyond the Dark Portal has Mac programming credits. And I think I checked out Blizzard's site via archive.org and found a lot about the Mac versions there (like the release dates).

About the lack of Mac covers in general: Mac games are relatively uncommon, thus Mac gamers are, thus Mac gamers contributing to MobyGames are.

Dae (7182) on 5/28/2008 8:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I'm not implying they don't exist, not at all. I'm just wondering where they're available for sale or demo download since I'd like to get them.