PUTPBAD's new take on an old medium has inspired not only a sequel by the author (1996's imaginatively-titled Pick Up The Phone Booth And Die 2, a five-location demo), but a number of homages and imitators including:
- Myn Duespo's Pick Up the Ice Cream Truck and Die (1998);
- Marc Valhara's Pick up the Pumpkin and KILL (2000);
- Jake Wildstrom's Pick Up the IF-Archive and Pi (2001);
- the collaborative effort Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle (2001);
- Danny Moik's Pick up the phone booth and Cry (2002);
- and Eric Schmidt's Pick Up The Phone Booth And Dye (2002).
PUTPBAD's grand, over-arching puzzle ("the whole game") was a finalist in the 1997 XYZZY Award (nominated by and voted on by authors of interactive fiction) category for Best Individual Puzzle. (It lost to "the language puzzle" in Lucian P. Smith's The Edifice.)