Written by  :  John H. (53)
Written on  :  May 18, 2019
Platform  :  PlayStation 4
Rating  :  4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars
read more reviews by John H.

Summary

Open-world stealth at its greatest.

The Good

The Phantom Pain is a very immersive experience and sure to fondly remembered for years to come because of its significance to the Metal Gear canon and its re-imagined gameplay of the franchise.

The Bad

Because of Kojima's troubles with Konami, he was fired after completion of this game: which is somethign the game unfortunately became associated with rather than the game itself in some instances.

Though the game's great, there's a sense that there remains 'unfinished business' in the development department's side of things: there was to be a 51st Mission called 'Kingdom of the Flies' but it never got completed and has since remained an internet pipe-dream ever since its discovery on the PC version's files.

It's easy to traverse area and escape from your enemies, and while I do love the open-world aspect of this game it can leave things feeling pretty barren some of the time.

The Bottom Line

You like Metal Gear? Just give this one a shot if you're longing for it. Do yourself a favor don't miss out on this moment in gaming history.