Forums > Game Forums > Discworld Noir > Awesome stuff

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 2/23/2009 4:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Replaying this game, and it's more awesome than I've ever thought before. The dialogues are outstanding. It's soaked in atmosphere. Cool clue-using investigation gameplay. Dark and mature story.

And did I mention the dialogues? This is a game you'll quote over and over again... with its own definitions of love, trust, religion, etc.

St. Martyne (3648) on 2/23/2009 7:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Funny, you should bring this particular game up.

For I was just recently reminded of Discworld Noir by a new adventure called Emerald City Confidential. The demo version is really good, showing the same signs of intelligent and witty writing, excellent voice acting, clever premise and intriguing noir plot.

Sure... it's shoddy production values, plenty of nods to casual games and sparse animation would never allow it to reach the heights of Discworld Noir, but still.

EDIT: Some reviewing comments back at PlayFirst are really golden.

"I like the new concept of the talking detective game. However, I found it to be tedious at times. . It can be entertaining, but I got bored with it pretty fast."

Sciere (923812) on 2/23/2009 7:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I was thinking about exactly the same thing. My game entry for it is pending. Just like the other Wadjet Eye titles, it excels through its writing. But as you say, there were a few compromises to make it appeal to the casual games market. It was his first contracted work, and he'll make more money with this title than anything he has done before.