Written by  :  Sycada (191)
Written on  :  Sep 04, 2001
Platform  :  PlayStation

read more reviews by Sycada

Summary

It's back and packing less than expected.

The Good

What we have here is Resident Evil 1 repackaged with extras. The core game is the same as it always was (no bad thing) but now we have a new mode to play through. This mode is basically the same as the regular game but many of the camera angles are different, monsters appear in new places to give you new scares, you can change your outfit in one of the closets right off the bat, and it's harder.

The Bad

All the same things that were wrong with RE are still wrong here. The biggest disaster about this release (and the cause for the title, Directors cut) was that the original uncut cinema for the intro sequence along with the other cinemas in the game that were originally cut, were going to be re-inserted. Sadly, they weren't and even though on the US version it says the cinemas were included on the box, they were left out leaving many fans infuriated. Unfortunately what's left over is not really enough to warrant a repeat purchase.

The Bottom Line

If you don't have RE then get this version over the regular one but those who have the standard edition would be wise to leave it alone.