Sid Meier's Civilization II Trivia (PlayStation)
1001 Video GamesThe PC version of Sid Meier's Civilization II appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
DevelopmentBrian Reynolds and his co-workers were initially reluctant to make many changes to the original game's design, as they didn't want to be known as "the guys who screwed up Civilization."
German versionThe translation for the German version of Civilization II is almost legendary -- it's a total disaster. It was done by an US-American employee of Microprose, whose sole qualification had been that he "spent a couple of years in Germany". The outcome were ridiculous messages as "Russen einfangen Große Mauer" ("Russians catching Great Wall").
SalesIn 1998, Civilization II (Windows) won the Gold-Award from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 100,000 (but less then 200,000) units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- Computer Gaming World
- May 1997 (Issue #154) – Strategy Game of the Year
- 2001 – #22 Top Game of All Time
- PC Gamer
- April 2000 - #5 in the "All-Time Top 50 Games" poll
- October 2001 - #2 in the "Top 50 Best Games of All Time" list
- April2005 - #3 in the" 50 Best Games of All Time" list
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/1997 - Best Game in 1996
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland
- 1998 - Gold Award (more information in "Sales" section)
Contributed by -Chris (7586) on Jul 10, 2000. [revised by : FatherJack (62732) and Patrick Bregger (257359)]. -- edit trivia