DescriptionA young boy from the town Kyaro, adopted and raised by a martial artist together with his sister Nanami, now serves in a Highland army, in a youth squad, together with his best friend Jowy. Their camp is attacked during the night. The two friends escape and jump down from a high cliff into a river. Soon the two become involved in a political struggle, as several nations seek an alliance against a powerful country led by an insane, bloodthirsty prince. What will destiny bring to the young heroes? What will they achieve in their lives? Will they fight together or will their paths be separate from now on?
Like its predecessor, Suikoden II is a Japanese-style role-playing game with a story that focuses on war, friendship and betrayal. As in the previous game, the goal it to build an army and participate in a war, defending the lives of the innocents. Once again it is possible to recruit 108 characters (Stars of Destiny), as well as build and customize a castle that serves as headquarters for the army. The main bulk of the gameplay, however, is traditional RPG exploration and character growth. Together with turn-based party combat, which allows up to six active player-controlled combatants, there are also a few strategic battles, which are quite different from those of the first Suikoden: the player has to move squads on a grid field, trying to surround the enemies and eventually defeat them.
Characters can equip runes that allow them to cast a limited amount of magic spells; unlike the first game, it is possible to equip up to three runes on a single character. Items are shared by the party rather than being restricted by individual inventories. There is a variety of mini-games, some of which are available only if the player recruits specific characters.
There are no promo images for this game
- "幻想水滸伝II" -- Japanese spelling
- "幻想水浒传2 (Huanxiang Shuihuzhuan 2)" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Genso Suikoden II" -- Japanese title
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Fishing
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Inspiration: Book - Shuihuzhuan / Water Margin
- Inspiration: Literature
- Suikoden series
- Suikoden universe
|A great sequel, superior in every way, but lacks the epicness of the original||Bregalad (963)|
|IGN||Oct 26, 1999||9 out of 10||90|
|Game Critics||Oct 01, 2003||9 out of 10||90|
|RPGFan||Nov 21, 1999||84 out of 100||84|
|RPGFan||Nov 07, 1999||80 out of 100||80|
|Power Unlimited||Mar, 2000||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Mega Fun||May, 2000||74 out of 100||74|
|Svenska PlayStation Magasinet||May, 2000||7 out of 10||70|
|Super Play (Sweden)||Apr, 2000||7 out of 10||70|
|Power The PlayStation Mag / Playstation Power||Apr, 2000||7 out of 10||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DemoA demo of the Playstation version of Suikoden II was packaged with the original Japanese release of Metal Gear Solid and was also packaged with the European release of Vandal-Hearts II.
InfluenceSuikoden II is based, like its predecessor, on the classic Chinese novel Shui Hu (Water Margins), hence the name "Suikoden", which is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese title. The game doesn't include any characters or concrete historical events from the book (since it is set in a fantasy world), but the most important reference to it (beside the 108 Stars of Destiny) is the fact the story of the game has something to do with rebellion and opposing a mighty, but corrupt empire by uniting forces from different independent cities and provinces.
- There is a portrait of Ted, the best friend of Suikoden's hero in his room in General McDohl's home in Gregminster.
- The ancient people known in the Suikoden universe as the "Sindar" get their name from Elvish people that are featured in The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion from British writer J. R. R. Tolkien.
Related Web Sites
- Suikosource (A fansite that contains a complete list of all the characters in all the games, including their background stories. It also contains information about the game world's time-line and geography as well as fan art and gameplay guides.)
- Wikipedia: Suikoden II (Information about Suikoden II at Wikipedia)