Forums > Game Forums > Tomb Raider > Survival horror

hribek (28) on 3/13/2009 4:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Challenge

I just tried to play Tomb Raider without killing / shooting any animal. First level has several places where survival theme could be amazing.

I dare to say that if Core somehow find out this possibility it could easily compete even with Resident Evil.

There was beautyful pressure and it reminded me of Mirrors Edge.

I'd play it without killing anyone but there are places where it is insanely impossible or even needed for further development.

There's a problem that You will not get into it without previous knowledge of level. I cannot say that for sure (I'd love to hear their opinion), but it seems that Core haven't thought about not killing animals.

Questions?

Main heroine find itself inside quite lit caves. How is it possible - there are no holes for the light? Main heroine has "miniskirt" when she's in the caves - does she love pain (is she masochist) ? All animals brainlessly attack her, otherwise they circle around (or do "8" loops) - aren't they, ..... oh it can not be so..., zombies? There's also one theory involving aunt Irma but I'd rather not go into details here ......

Frustrating?

• Unfortunately if You play it this way some flaws will surface. Lara "stucking" (not able to jump over & doing some annoying animation) in front of "invisible" obstackles (boulders, rope ....), those You'd normally climb or step over.
  • Lara, sometimes, unable to slide along the wall.
  • Lara being killed when she misses some of those anal jumps (I had to save progress there :( ).
  • There are no save points in PC version which spoils the fun because You have to remember to save sometimes (I did that on safe places).

I also remembered first playing this game. Demo of city of vilcabamba. I spent quite some time turning heroine around to see famous pair of egyptian pyramids. It was quite a survival horror game until I found spacebar. Then I felt bad for killing those poor dizzy wolves ;)

So what do You think about it? Playing this game as (buggy) survival horror.

St. Martyne (3648) on 3/13/2009 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I think this post is mildly funny.

Donatello (466) on 3/13/2009 5:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I know what you mean. The first Tomb Raider has this Metroid-ish feeling of loneliness and danger. Very atmospheric.

Yup, and when I was younger, I didn't even have the guts to play this unless someone was close by. :D

Foxhack (32100) on 3/13/2009 7:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I remember playing this game when it was new and trying to figure out why people found it fun. shrugs

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/13/2009 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I definitely think the absolute isloation is what makes the first Tomb Raider so great. It scared the crap out of me when I found out there was a third raptor in the third level.

Haoie on 3/17/2009 8:21 PM · Permalink · Report

First time I've ever seen this series being referred to as horror.

The aim of the game isn't to scare you, so, that really doesn't count.