Forums > Game Forums > Shadow of the Colossus > This is amazing

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/29/2007 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks to Matt's review, I finally decided to check this one out. If you haven't played it, you should. It's like "Loom", in the sense that it is a one-time experience which is impossible to imitate. Do yourselves a favor and get it, it's incredible.

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/29/2007 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Makes me wish I played console games :-)

One thing - I can't quite reconcile the discussion of the graphics with the screenshots here - I know graphics shouldn't mean so much, but...is the game really so gray and blurry?

Indra was here (20756) on 7/29/2007 7:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--] It's like "Loom" [/Q --end Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--]

What in God's name gave you that idea?

To Mom: Actually the graphics are extremely very good, if not ahead of its time (especially the monsters).

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 7/30/2007 4:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Jesus, you read that ENTIRE review. Thank you! That makes me feel really warm and fuzzy inside.

At least you liked it as much as I did. You must understand how I felt after I got done playing that. After that game all I was able to do was sit down and write a review, and I wanted to make SURE that I gave it the praise I felt it deserved.

I'm just glad you did like it. I always feel bad when one of my reviews makes a person buy a game and they don't like it.

EDIT: Actually, Mom, those screenshots are quite terrible. They've lost all of their color. Look up screenshots elsewhere to get a better look, the world is actually quite beautiful.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/30/2007 6:27 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]You must understand how I felt after I got done playing that.[/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--] Oh, absolutely. The game is awe-inspiring, and while I was reading your review, I could really feel what this experience meant to you. Now I'm experiencing the same thing :)

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/30/2007 6:34 PM · Permalink · Report

"Loom" was totally unique, unlike anything else, and impossible to imitate. There can only be one game like this. "Shadow of the Colossus" made me feel the same way.

I know you disliked the game, but frankly, it only means that you two couldn't connect to each other. Because to a person who is "in tune" with the game, your explanations as to why this game is bad (there are only 16 colossus battles and nothing else, there is no story, etc.) sound really ridiculous. It's precisely because there are only 16 colossi and "no story" that this game is so unique. Without throwing at you 1000 enemies, it makes every colossus battle to a decisive event in your life. Without 10000 lines of dialogue, it moves you to tears (it's a lot like Another World in this way). As I said, you just haven't found the right approach to the game, you demand from it something it's not supposed to give you.

Indra was here (20756) on 7/30/2007 8:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

True, I demanded something from the game. I assumed something from the game. Don't we all?

I though must admit that I have a problem with all that eye-candy and none of it interactable. Those miles-and-miles of marvelous landscape without interaction or in-game historical reference to me is just bullocks.

It's like visiting tourist sites and not bothering to ask the tour guide "Hey, who made that castle? Why is it here?".

Don't get me wrong. It is a great game. It's the first game that made me look in awe at the size of the monsters. Brilliant, but I would like to expect educational value from all games. I would like to expect such responsible vision from developers who provide games to the younger generation. Make them smarter, teach them something...not just make them brain-dead consumers. Not all games may need to provide such detailed information, this one however greatly fits such a possibilty.

If I want eye candy without educational value, I look at girls. :p

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 7/30/2007 10:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Who the Hell said it had no backstory? Check this out: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/694/694289p1.html. The thing is, you are supposed to put the backstory behind the game. That's what art it is. It doesn't explain itself. It's open to widespread interpretation as to what the creator's original ideas were.

I love this guide because of the quote:

"Shadow of the Colossus is more than just a video game. It is a spiritual experience, and that is very much the point. A game which is so totally about immersion and atmosphere to the point where it doesn't require much of anything to happen.

Or, more precisely, it's a work of art. In a way few games could hope to or would want to be."

Donatello (466) on 7/30/2007 10:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Have you even considered the option of him being a fanboy?

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/30/2007 10:51 PM · Permalink · Report

I knew it before I even checked the game's summary sheet: This thread is God's way of saying: "You still didn't get a PS2? How much of a jackass are you?". And then he laughs at me. Again.

He's got quite the nerve, that God.

Anyway, yet another one for my "to do" list.

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/31/2007 12:09 AM · Permalink · Report

G4 (Cable game magazine channel) just did a little spot about SOTD not 5 minutes ago - they gave it a 4 out of 5, and mentioned "Art" a lot...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 7/31/2007 12:25 AM · Permalink · Report

It's a very good-looking game. As for the premise, well, check my trivia item.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/31/2007 4:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--]I knew it before I even checked the game's summary sheet: This thread is God's way of saying: "You still didn't get a PS2? How much of a jackass are you?". And then he laughs at me. Again.

He's got quite the nerve, that God.

Anyway, yet another one for my "to do" list. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

My thoughts exactly.