Forums > Game Forums > Deus Ex > Happy birthday!

Patrick Bregger (298879) on 6/22/2010 6:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The 22. June of 2000 changed the world. On that day Deus Ex was released in the US. Some people still regard it to be the best game ever made. I have to admit, I am one of them. This game combines the greatest things games can offer. But I think I talked enough about that during the last year

Happy birthday, Deus Ex! Thank you, Warren Spector, Harvey Smith and all other people involved in the creation of this masterpiece.

vedder (70685) on 6/22/2010 6:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm guilty of that regard as well.

On a more negative note. The entire game industry has failed in the last 10 years minus one day to produce a title that's at least as good as Deus Ex. Now that's a scary notion! :)

Happy b-day Deus Ex!

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 6/23/2010 4:33 AM · Permalink · Report

On a more negative note. The entire game industry has failed in the last 10 years minus one day to produce a title that's at least as good as Deus Ex. Now that's a scary notion! :)

Gotta agree with that. After Deus Ex was released, I was sure the world will be populated by countless clones, improvements, and better sequels. It didn't happen. Games emulate some aspects of Deus Ex, but not all together.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/22/2010 10:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I usually refuse to name anything "best of" whatever category it belongs to, but I concur that Deus Ex was certainly one of the best games I've ever played. I have planned to go back and play it for a long time, didn't get around to it yet. I also have 2 copies of Invisible War, but so far never played it because of the bad reputation it has...

Occasionally I just feel like playing the soundtrack (favourite track) which was just so important for the game's atmosphere. It's generally surprising how often I am reminded of Deus Ex, although it's been so long since I last played it (almost when it was released) that I barely remember any of it. Recently I played the original Splinter Cell and was reminded of it. For some reason I'm constantly reminded of it while currently playing Mass Effect. And it always comes to mind when watching Blade Runner or similar movies.

One of the all-time greats, and sadly I also have to agree that I haven't seen a similarly intelligent shooter since.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/23/2010 3:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey ho, y'all!! Happy Deus Ex day!

So, about eight years ago I came across this awesome document dedicated to Deus Ex, put together by some Stephan T. Lavavej, and I guess today is a great day to share it.

What is on it, you may ask? Well, "what isn't on it" would be easier to answer. It includes developer notes, behind-the-scenes anecdotes, a comprehensive post-mortem, a transcript of every single text file in the game --you know, the works.

Did you know Deus Ex was originally proposed as a "Underworld-style, first-person action", "No monsters. No magic. All action." game called Troubleshooter? Or that the name of the movie "Blue Harvest", which Paul Denton ordered from a site called "ClassicMovies", is actually a fictional, red-herring name given to Return of the Jedi while it was being filmed? Or that, among a lot of stuff that had to be cut out, there was a mission on the Moon?

That's just the tip of the very, very tasty trivia iceberg that is this artical. Think of it as the sort of thing you usually get in Director's Cut editions. No self-respected Deus Ex fan should die without reading this stuff. So what are you still doing here? Go, go, go!!!

Bonus track to the bonus track: In case you feel liken putting on a trenchcoat and go fight some conspiracies all over again, here's a very complete Deus Ex enhancing guide to make things a little more 21st-century like. Happy Deus Ex day!

Patrick Bregger (298879) on 6/23/2010 6:25 AM · Permalink · Report

I remember this site, it is awesome. Make sure to submit it as related link!

St. Martyne (3648) on 6/24/2010 5:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I love Deus Ex. What's more to be said?