Forums > Game Forums > Need for Speed: The Run > Limited Edition, Pre-Order bonuses and DLCs

GTramp (81965) on 8/18/2012 2:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Ah, this modern age of gaming! It was so much easier a decade back! Just grab a game from the shelf and go play it! Now you've got to watch out for all these special editions with exclusive content and stuff...

Anyway, while very much enjoying NFS: The Run, I tried to get (this way or the other) every DLC pack and pre-order pack out there for the PC.

Aside from the usual game, there, of course, is the Limited Edition with more cars and races (which I'll contribute shortly).

There are also some DLCs which are also relatively easy to contribute.

But there are also pre-order bonuses: by pre-ordering the game from different retailers the gamers got exclusive cars and challenge series (actually several new races in each pre-order pack). There are no titles for these pre-order packs... So I'm at a loss - how's one supposed to contribute this kind of info? Separate entries for each retailers' version? Separate entries just for the extra content (probably not, since it's integrated into the game)? Simply trivia info in the main game's entry?

vedder (70767) on 8/18/2012 9:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Though it's not my preference, I think you put something like (Amazon.com pre-order pack) in the game title and make them separate entries.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 8/18/2012 7:42 PM · Permalink · Report

My vote would be for trivia entry. These can explode into countless distributions with different combinations of miniscule add-ons, so I think it would be more useful to list all that were somehow obtainable in one place, and mention where/how they were distributed.

GTramp (81965) on 8/19/2012 2:32 AM · Permalink · Report

We already have add-ons and DLCs as separate entries, don't we?

Daniel Saner (3503) on 8/19/2012 1:54 PM · Permalink · Report

But only if they are sold separately. So pre-order bonus add-ons would only be eligible for a separate entry if later they are unbundled and made available for purchase by those who didn't pre-order.

It would definitely be within MG standards to just have a separate game entry for every bundle that is being offered, I just think that it will make things unnecessarily complicated, when you have 5+ entries for the same game depending on where people bought it, which I think would be more appropriate for the release info (different distributors/retailers) and the main description or trivia (overview over all existing bonuses).

Sciere (930479) on 8/19/2012 2:24 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Rob has to decide, but so far we've been keeping everything separate. It makes it easier to distinguish between the special editions. The additional content has to be a part of the package, though, it cannot be an additional gift provided along with the regular game. So a store providing a complimentary cap or pin with a purchase does not count. In-game content does and items that are packaged with the game also. Many preorder incentives through retailers have different covers or other elements suck as stickers or another barcode to differentiate. I'm not all in favor of it, but it's consistent with how everything has previously been entered.

GTramp (81965) on 8/19/2012 2:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the opinions... I just want to add that these pre-order editions I'm talking about each contain several exclusive cars and several race events - unique in-game content. And I never cared for all the supplementary stuff - just the game itself.

The other side of it is that all this content seems to be already in the game and you just merely unlock it by pre-ordering from different retailers... So after all it may seem a good idea to contribute it all to a single "Limited Edition" entry.

Sciere (930479) on 8/19/2012 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

No, because you can still buy the three different versions, and sneaky publisher tactics have different editions unlock different content exclusively for that edition. It doesn't count if it is also made available afterwards as commercial DLC.

GTramp (81965) on 8/20/2012 12:13 AM · Permalink · Report

All right, what about the naming?

Say, we've got Need for Speed: The Run Limited Edition (Gamestop.com Pre-Order version) - it's for US only. Exactly the same version was available in UK when pre-ordered from Play.com. Does it affect the title? Or should it just be mentioned in the description?

Sciere (930479) on 8/20/2012 12:46 AM · Permalink · Report

If the content is the same, US title first.

GTramp (81965) on 8/20/2012 12:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

More digging revealed an interesting twist: Russian Limited Edition pre-ordered at Origin.com contains three pre-order packs which are only available separately for US gamers. This kind of info goes into the trivia, right? No need for a separate, country- specific entry?

(I'm not picky, I just want to make it right)

Sciere (930479) on 8/20/2012 2:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Could be a separate entry, it has been done before.

Rola (8483) on 8/20/2012 7:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I hate that tactic too. They're playing on collectors' instincts (oh, my poor OCD!).

Remember that Black & White had two separate releases? For bad and good guy? And each had own bonus creature? A regular buyer would always miss something, yet buying two copies of the same game sounds a bit extreme, right?

Or did I mixed it up? There were promos with bonus creatures, here's a proof:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-White-Special-Creature-Leopard/dp/B0026GPZNS
I think it's enough to list them as trivia.

lilalurl (733) on 8/20/2012 11:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thankfully, nobody ever thought of doing such a thing for each opus of a series ^^:

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/pokmon-main-rpg-series

GTramp (81965) on 8/20/2012 12:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Thank God, I never was into Pokemon.