Not an American user?
DescriptionRed Dead Redemption is a free-roaming western game and the spiritual successor to Red Dead Revolver. The game is set in 1911, where players take control of John Marston, an outlaw who is forced to turn on his peers when federal agents threaten his family. He is sent to the American frontier to capture his former gang members, especially the notorious leader Bill Williamson.
In the open world, the player is free to follow the storyline or partake in the various events that occur while exploring the West; similar in overall design to Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series. Horses are the main means of transportation, and the player can whistle for their mount at any time. Players can also visit towns, talk to other characters, and join or intervene in events such as public hangings, ambushes and robberies. Many of these are random, including dangerous animal attacks and bandit ambushes. Other activities include hunting, gambling, duels and standoffs, with guns as the main weapon.
Based on the player's decisions, two morality systems (honor and fame) influence on how the environment and other characters react to Marston. Marston can shoot while riding a horse and capture people by lasso, combined with a cover system with specific targeting or wildfire. In the recharging "Dead Eye" targeting mode, time is slowed down to target different enemies in specific locations, and then execute the shots in rapid succession. The player can also set up camps anywhere in the world to fast travel to known locations or save their game.
Multiplayer is supported through free-for-all, team and capture-the-flag modes, introducing crates with weapons and power-ups. Games start with a Mexican standoff where the survivor receives some extra time to gather items while the others are respawning. Similar to Grand Theft Auto IV, there is a continuous free-roaming mode where players can team up in posses to form a party and engage computer-controlled gangs. Posses are made up of a maximum of eight players and all multiplayer games support a maximum of sixteen players. During multiplayer, the characters can level up and gain access to new mount breeds, character models and weapon skins.
- "Grand Theft Horse" -- Informal title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: RAGE
- Animals: Horses
- Gameplay feature: Gambling
- Gameplay feature: Horse riding
- Gameplay feature: House ownership
- Gameplay feature: Hunting
- Gameplay feature: Poker
- Gameplay feature: Time manipulation
- Games with post-credits scene or gameplay
- Genre: Open world / Free-roaming / Sandbox action and driving
- Middleware: euphoria
- Middleware: FaceFX
- Physical Bonus Content: Poster
- Physical Bonus Content: World Map
- PlayStation 3 Platinum Range releases
- Red Dead Redemption series
- Setting: 1910s
- Setting: Western / Old West
- Xbox 360 Classics releases
- Xbox 360 Platinum Hits releases
|John Marston tops Tommy Vercetti as a great character.||Kyle Levesque (935)|
|Simply, a fun game||Gamer User (434)|
|GameSpy||May 19, 2010||100|
|Gamereactor (Sweden)||May 17, 2010||10 out of 10||100|
|NZGamer||May 18, 2010||10 out of 10||100|
|videogamer.com||May 19, 2010||10 out of 10||100|
|3D Juegos||May 18, 2010||9.9 out of 10||99|
|Game Informer Magazine||May 17, 2010||9.75 out of 10||98|
|Impulse Gamer||May, 2010||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Videogameszone||May 20, 2010||91 out of 100||91|
|Jeuxvideo.fr||May 16, 2010||9 out of 10||90|
|DarkZero||Jul 09, 2010||8 out of 10||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
ReferencesThe famous Wilhelm scream known throughout many movies since the 50s makes an appearance in the game. During various times in the single player and multiplayer modes the sound effect will trigger when a person is shot and killed.
- 2010 – #2 Best Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2010 – #2 Best Graphics of the Year
- GamePro (Germany)
- 2011 - Best Console Game in 2011 (Readers' Voting)
- 2011 - Best Console Action Game in 2011 (Readers' Voting)
- 2010 – Game of the Year
- 2010 – Action-Adventure Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- IGCD Internet Game Cars Database (Game page on IGCD, a database that tries to archive vehicles found in video games.)
- Rockstar Games Present Red Dead Redemption (official game website)
- Wikipedia: Red Dead Redemption (article in the open encyclopedia about the game)
Sciere (711529) added Red Dead Redemption (PlayStation 3) on May 19, 2010
Other platforms contributed by Sciere (711529)
Credits (1274 people)
1273 developers, 1 thanks