Forums > Game Forums > Suikoden III > What a horrible soundtrack

Donatello (466) on 6/20/2009 1:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I just tried Suikoden III and after playing for an hour, I'm shocked. What a disasterpiece the soundscape is! Where are all the lush compositions from Suikoden I and II? I don't know what to do: submit my ears to torture, or miss out on the story which is quite interesting.

Seriously, the music is so sloppy and an awful regression from the previous games.

Suikoden III vs Suikoden II and Suikoden I

"Yes, I think S3's score is mostly so bad it should be used as some kind of alternative to capital punishment."

—- (1623) on 6/20/2009 1:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Suikoden III's soundtrack isn't even half bad, in my opinion. Sure, it's a mere shadow of the prequels' great compositions, but there are at least some good pieces, and the rest is mostly just bland. The same goes for Suikoden IV. Now Suikoden V on the other hand has a really cacophonic soundtrack. It almost seems as if they were going for a parody there... The main tune in Sol Falena, the starting town, is so unbearable, I had to turn the volume down; i can't remember any other game that made me do this.

—- (1623) on 6/20/2009 3:44 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ash Ligast II wrote--]I can't remember any other game that made me do this. [/Q --end Ash Ligast II wrote--]

Discounting lots of arcade games, now that I think of it. The Bubble Bobble loop eats your soul after the third repetition.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 6/22/2009 7:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Now Suikoden V on the other hand has a really cacophonic soundtrack. It almost seems as if they were going for a parody there... The main tune in Sol Falena, the starting town, is so unbearable, I had to turn the volume down; i can't remember any other game that made me do this.

I had exactly the same feeling!

The music of Suikoden 3 is okay, though. In any case, it's a great game - in my opinion the last really original and interesting Suikoden.

Donatello (466) on 6/23/2009 5:58 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The Suikoden "feeling" has finally hit me in this game, and to quote Oleg: "Is it possible not to love Suikoden?".

:)

St. Martyne (3648) on 6/23/2009 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, fuck you all.

I don't have time. ;-(

Haoie on 7/1/2009 8:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Too bad it was never released in PAL regions.

Donatello (466) on 7/28/2009 7:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Despite the bad initial impressions, I hereby declare this game the best Suikoden I've played so far and one of the best JRPGs. It has many problems, mainly due to the transition from 2D to 3D, which is inadequate at portraying war on a wider scale.

I think they did exceptionally well, though, thanks to the Trinity Sight system and somewhat different take on Suikoden formula. Character design is amazing, I have to praise KCET for crafting so many believable and interesting characters. Most of them don't get a lot of development, but they're all so unique, yet appropriate (don't have a crazy fashion sense).

So, my list from best to worst:

Suikoden III Suikoden I Suikoden II

However, they're all excellent games, and I'd actually recommend Suikoden II over the others.

Next summer, next Suikoden game. :)