Forums > Game Forums > Suikoden III > Series' creative peak

Donatello (466) on 7/14/2013 12:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Apparently, there was a so-called Suikoden day a few days ago. It was simply a remembrance initiated by Kotaku, but it has spread all over the internet gaming forums.

Suikoden II is considered probably the best Suikoden II, and it is definitely the most well-rounded and polished entry in the series, but I've always thought Suikoden III tops it. Yes, there's quite a few issues (relatively small locations, inconsistent soundtrack, a bit of a wonky battle system etc), but the sheer ambition of it outshines everything. The second game always felt like a bigger and better version of the first Suikoden, but this one really took it a step forward in terms of storytelling and themes.

Unfortunately, this game also marked the departure of Yoshitaka Murayama, the mastermind behind the series, which probably explains why the later entries dropped the ball (though they were still good in their own right).

Also, below is the opening of Suikoden III, which probably sums up this particular game and the whole series as a whole: a gameworld rich with history and cultures, and an endearing cast of characters caught in political conflicts. Not to mention the fact that the series has been relatively free of any typical anime tropes, which is always a plus. :)

Ah, the beauty

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/14/2013 9:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Suikoden III had a lot of awesome stuff in it, but my vote still goes to II. Then again, I love all the five Suikodens. Even the fourth. Don't say anything against it! Don't you dare!! I love it!! Do you hear me??!! :-)

anna zhang on 7/17/2013 6:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

spam