DescriptionThe Elemental Crystals are the life source of the planet. With them, gentle winds blow, the seas are active, fire burns bright, and the earth is full of life. All seems well in the world, until the wind suddenly stops, the sea begin to grow stagnant, the heat of fire becomes scarce, and the earth begins to wither. King Tycoon, sensing a premonition of evil, hurries off to check on the Wind Crystal, only to witness it destroy itself.
Meanwhile, a young traveler named Bartz is camping in a field when a giant meteor strikes the planet. When he heads out to examine the meteor, he is shocked to find a young girl named Lenna, who is the princess of Tycoon, and an old man named Galuf, who is on a critical mission. Later, joined by Faris, a pirate captain, the foursome must travel the land in search of the destroyer of the Crystals, and save the planet at any cost.
Final Fantasy V is a role-playing game that uses the Active Time Battle system first introduced in Final Fantasy IV. It also incorporates the Job/Ability system from Final Fantasy III, which keeps the core gameplay centered on four main characters and allows the player to change their classes, or 'jobs'. A new feature lets the player assign an ability from one job to a character who has another job.
An updated version with additional content has been released on Game Boy Advance.
There are no promo images for this game
- "最终幻想5" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Zui Zhong Huanxiang 5" -- Chinese title
- "FFV" -- Common title
- "FF5" -- Common title
- "ファイナルファンタジーＶ" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Fantasy Creatures: Dragons
- Final Fantasy games
- Final Fantasy series
- Gameplay feature: Monster capture / training
- Games made into movies
- Games made into TV series
- Games with original fan translations into English
There are no reviews for the PSP release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe SNES version of Final Fantasy V appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cancelled US versionThe game was going to be translated to America under the moniker Final Fantasy Extreme (because of its supposed complexity) before it was cancelled in favor of Secret of Evermore.
- Gilgamesh and his sidekick Enkidu, two minor villains of the game, take their names from those of ancient heroes of Babylon. The Babylonian "Poem of Gilgamesh" is considered one of the greatest epic pieces of ancient literature.
- There is a "I-am-in-a-game" kind of joke in Final Fantasy V. In one of the towns of the First World, talk to a dancer on the stage. Butz and his friends will start dancing with her, and then tell to various people in the tavern: "Dance with us!". They end up by saying: "And you too, yes you there, the one who sits in front of the TV!".
- In the library of Zaza's castle (the last library room, where a woman stands), examine the left-most bookshelf, that contains magazines. Butz will say something like: "Let's see... pl...play...playb... nope, I guess they don't have this stuff here".
TranslationsFinal Fantasy V for the SNES was only released in Japan, Squaresoft never translated the game until it appeared on the PlayStation as part of the Final Fantasy Anthology. However, it was one of the first large RPGs to have been fan-translated from Japanese to English.
Most of the names are different in fan-translated English SNES version and Playstation re-release. Here are some of them:
- SNES: Butz, Leena, Kara, Worus, Istory, Lonka, Exdeath
- PSX: Bartz, Reina, Krile, Walz, Easterly, Ronka, X-Death
- 2006 – GBA Game of the Year
- 2006 – GBA Game of the Year (Gamers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- FF-Fan (A fansite that offers all kinds of information on the entire Final Fantasy franchise, including walkthroughs, game media, discussion boards and fan art.)
- OC ReMix Game Profile (Fan remixes of music from Final Fantasy V.)