Forums > Game Forums > Rocket Ranger (Extended Collector's Edition) > can this really be said to be released for eg. NES

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/14/2019 10:16 PM · Permalink · Report

when the disc media is CD-ROM and the NES has no way of reading from that format?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/14/2019 10:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I might go so far as to accept Windows, Mac, Amiga.

Alaka (106069) on 2/14/2019 10:29 PM · Permalink · Report

It may somehow be allowed since we have the Miscellaneous Attributes : Modified hardware or emulator required tech spec now. Although no games have that attribute yet...

MAT (240793) on 2/15/2019 6:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Even if game source was for NES cartridge, if it's on CD it shouldn't have NES. It's like adding DVD game released on blu-ray disc under "DVD Player" platform. It's simply not readable by DVD Player, hence cannot be acceptable as a game for that platform, even if the source of the game is.

It would be acceptable if NES had download option, so game released on CD-ROM could be copied somewhere and downloaded from NES console. But even that would be a stretch.

Imho, media must be readable or anyhow accessible from the platform on which the game is added.

Alaka (106069) on 2/15/2019 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--] Imho, media must be readable or anyhow accessible from the platform on which the game is added. [/Q --end MAT wrote--]

No, we have that emulator tech spec now. Just having the rom for a specific platform should be enough for inclusion regardless of it's delivery method.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 2/15/2019 8:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

"Games which require modified hardware (unofficial extensions / software hacks) or an emulator." - According to its own description the tech spec is for the platform onto which it is emulated. Personally I find this tech spec very confusing.

There is no way to run the DOS, C64 etc. versions on NES for example no matter how many modifications and emulators you use. I don't think it's correct to add it as a platform.

Patrick Bregger (300054) on 2/17/2019 7:40 AM · Permalink · Report

This case is not a problem with our emulation policies, it's a problem with our database structure. Since we document releases instead of games, a platform on a compilation entry does not mean that the whole compilation runs on said platform - it says that at least one game in the compilation is for said platform.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 2/17/2019 8:30 AM · Permalink · Report

I disagree. A release refers to the entire package. It cannot refer to a part of the package. The way I see the structure of the database is exactly the opposite of what you're saying.

If what you're saying is true we would need for example separate tech specs for every title in a compilation of just Windows games, we would also have to list "Print" as a platform if the game contains printed extras such as artwork or a novel, not to mention other platforms like "Toy" etc.

A compilation of games is one release of several games. By registering the NES platform, we are documenting a game (the code), not the release.

MAT (240793) on 2/16/2019 12:39 AM · Permalink · Report

If you require NES emulator that runs in Windows, means the game is only palyable under Windows, then Windows should be the right platform, not NES. Sort of how Steam and GOG treat games taht run in DOSBox as Windows/Mac/Linux.

Alaka (106069) on 2/16/2019 1:55 AM · Permalink · Report

https://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,1/dgm,244914/

Per Patrick:

"The policy was changed, we accept emulator-only homebrew games now."

Also Tanglewood has the Genesis platform added even though it's only a Genesis rom that came with the steam release.

If this is all wrong than what is the point of this tech spec. Please explain it to me because it makes no sense to exist if you don't allow these games in.

MAT (240793) on 2/18/2019 1:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Am I seeing something wrong here... that tech spec has dozens of platforms assigned, yet not a single game listed :) Indeed, what is the point of having that tech spec if we don't have a single game with it despite indication that the games exist on so many included platforms.

Alaka (106069) on 2/18/2019 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Well then this can be the first game listed with it.