Forums > Game Forums > Bram Stoker's Dracula > Incorrect info in user's review

GTramp (81965) on 12/27/2013 3:33 PM · Permalink · Report

What can you do when the user's review is wrong concerning the facts about the game?

The review here says: "The CD version of Bram Stoker's Dracula is the same as its cartridge cousin, except that it has improved music, sound effects and (thanks to the storage capacity of a CD) some grainy digital pictures and other sort props and imagery from the 1992 film "

...which is wrong, since cartrige versions are different games and Sega CD version is yet another distinctly different version featuring unique digitized graphics, it's own style, gameplay etc.

Indra was here (20756) on 12/27/2013 3:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Absolutely nothing other than a PM.

GTramp (81965) on 12/27/2013 4:14 PM · Permalink · Report

PM'd him, maybe he'll listen.

SGruber (3812) on 12/27/2013 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I would be in favour of some kind of "editors note" pointing the most obvious flaws out. This seems to be a serious flaw in the review.

Indra was here (20756) on 12/27/2013 8:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Too much of a hassle really for a personal opinion review. Besides, this thread already exists on the main game page.

Kinda reminds me of a user PM-ing me that I was incorrect in my Civ4? review about Sid Meier's voice acting as ugly. That it was actually Nimoy's voice. I corrected my review, only to find out later that I was actually referring to Sid Meier's voice in the tutorial. Which was really, really, bad voice acting. Nimoy's voice wasn't exactly astounding either. Was too lazy to re-fix it.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/1/2014 8:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Correcting one's review is surely an approver's privilege, though? I couldn't find any such option for my own reviews. So PM'ing a review author about factual errors will be pointless really.

chirinea (47496) on 1/1/2014 9:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--]Correcting one's review is surely an approver's privilege, though? I couldn't find any such option for my own reviews. So PM'ing a review author about factual errors will be pointless really. [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]You can pull back your own reviews for revision purposes, all you have to do is chose to review the game again.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/2/2014 6:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]You can pull back your own reviews for revision purposes, all you have to do is chose to review the game again.[/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

I see, thanks. Might make sense to move that to a "pull for revision" link next to the actual review.

is_that_rain_or_tears (634) on 12/28/2013 1:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I believe reviews are a free space, and freedom to commit mistakes is among the primary.

GTramp (81965) on 12/28/2013 1:53 AM · Permalink · Report

I believe reviews serve to express opinions. Factual mistakes that say that game A is a game B just with some grainy pictures should not be tolerated - that's what I believe. Yeah, being able to comment on reviews would definitely help.

is_that_rain_or_tears (634) on 12/28/2013 2:23 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

«Tolerated»? If we have to find something that's not to be tolerated in this world, starting from reviews errors seems genial to me, now that I think of it. Before I was thinking that reviewers, as well as everyone in the world, shall be free to be inaccurate, incompetent, stupid, and whatever else they are, are presumed to, or want to be. They, and not MobyGames, are responsible for what they post.

GTramp (81965) on 12/28/2013 2:58 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

They post on site that boasts having accurate info about the games. In this particular case it is very clear to me that the reviewer has not even played either the game he is reviewing or the one he compares it to.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 12/28/2013 3:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Gotta agree with GTramp here. Reviews may contain any opinions, but they should not contain factual errors.

SGruber (3812) on 12/28/2013 6:40 AM · Permalink · Report

I would guess that if the approver would have known both games, the review would never have been approved? I think that should be a guideline when to retroactively do something about a review. Those two games are rather obscure, but I hardly think that a review mentioning that Sonic CD just added a few cutscenes to Sonic 1 for Genesis would have made it through the approval process.