Forums > Game Forums > Castlevania: Symphony of the Night > Symphony of the Night/ PS2 memory card problem

Michael Sanders on 1/6/2008 8:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Could someone kindly help me here? I just bought a copy of the incredibly deep and satisfying, indisputable all time best 2D scroller of all time, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, off of ebay. I played this game ten years ago and always regretted that I traded it in. Well I finally got it back, and great, this game does not recognize my PS2 memory card. It says there is NO CARD when I boot the game up, even though there is a perfectly good card in There is no way to enjoy this game without being able to save! I checked my memory card on the PS2 browser, and it is fully functional. I even tried moving the card from slot 1 to slot 2. What do I need to do, buy a PS1 memory card or something? Will that work in a PS2? Or heck do I have to buy an entire PS1 AND a PS1 memory card to play this game? I thought the PS2 was made to be "backward compatible" with most all PS1 games. To me, that means being able to use the PS2 memory card with those PS1 games, otherwise, what's the point????? Please help!

Shoddyan (15002) on 1/6/2008 9:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Michael Sanders wrote--]Well I finally got it back, and great, this game does not recognize my PS2 memory card. It says there is NO CARD when I boot the game up, even though there is a perfectly good card in There is no way to enjoy this game without being able to save! I checked my memory card on the PS2 browser, and it is fully functional. I even tried moving the card from slot 1 to slot 2. What do I need to do, buy a PS1 memory card or something? Will that work in a PS2? Or heck do I have to buy an entire PS1 AND a PS1 memory card to play this game? I thought the PS2 was made to be "backward compatible" with most all PS1 games. To me, that means being able to use the PS2 memory card with those PS1 games, otherwise, what's the point????? Please help! [/Q --end Michael Sanders wrote--]

You're correct... Castlevania: Symphony of the Night being a playstation 1 game, will need a PS1 memory card. The game itself will run on your PS2 however (I'm surprised that the game won't let you boot up and play without saving data.... the way most games do), the memory card fits into the same slot as the PS2 memory cards do. It will also run with the same controller, since the PS2's Dualshock 2's were actually introduced in the PS1's lifespan. But unfortunately the memory card is the one thing that's completely "PS1" that you'll need. Either an official Sony one or a 3rd party PS1 memory card should work. Either will probably set you back a few extra dollars... or if you're really lucky, maybe you can borrow one from a friend.

AFAIK, all PS2s feature backwards compatibility with PS1 games... however specific models may have issues with certain games. I don't know of any that have problems with Symphony of the Night.

Michael Sanders on 1/6/2008 7:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Thank you so much for your help, I was at a complete loss. At least I know what to do now. It really surprises me though that the PS2 cards are not usable with the PS1 games. The game itself runs fine. Oh well, live and learn. I may have a PS1 card laying around somewhere. Thanks again!

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/6/2008 7:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, if you're using an IBM PC and a USB gamepad you might consider using an emulator. I did. And SotH played just fine.

Shoddyan (15002) on 1/7/2008 6:17 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Michael Sanders wrote--]Thank you so much for your help, I was at a complete loss. At least I know what to do now. It really surprises me though that the PS2 cards are not usable with the PS1 games. The game itself runs fine. Oh well, live and learn. I may have a PS1 card laying around somewhere. Thanks again! [/Q --end Michael Sanders wrote--]

No a strange quirk of the system is that you can copy PS1 games from a PS1 card to PS2 cards for storage purposes... but to actually use the game data (load/save) you need the PS1 card

Foxhack (32100) on 1/12/2008 3:49 AM · Permalink · Report

If you live in the US and there's a Gamestop store near you, you might be able to find a memory card for about 99 cents.

Or you can go visit a Chinese import shop, they usually have knockoff - er, I mean, unlicensed third party memory cards.