DescriptionHaving barely escaped LeChuck's dreadful amusement park, Guybrush Threepwood finds himself stuck in the middle of the sea, with nothing in his boat but a sausage and a diary. Musing over the events that have led him into this predicament, Guybrush suddenly discovers a ship navigated by none other than his archenemy. Once again, Guybrush saves his beloved Elaine from the claws of his undead rival. In the midst of the treasure that belonged to the defeated foe Guybrush finds a ring. Overwhelmed by his love to Elaine, he proposes marriage to her and gives her the ring. What he doesn't know is that the ring is cursed; before he is able to realize what is happening, Elaine is turned into a gold statue. Will Guybrush be able to lift the curse and to save his one and only love?
This third installment of the Monkey Island is, like its predecessors, a humorous puzzle-solving adventure game. The game features cartoon-style SVGA graphics and (for the first time in the series) voice-overs for all the conversations. The interface no longer involves a list of verbs that occupies a part of the screen; instead, it follows the same principle as in Full Throttle: the player chooses first the object to interact with, then the action from a menu that appears. Like the second game, The Curse of Monkey Island has two difficulty levels.
- "猴島小英雄III：猴島的詛咒" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "猴岛小英雄3:猴岛的诅咒" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Проклятье Острова Обезьян" -- Russian spelling (unofficial)
- "Prokljatje Ostrova Obez'jan" -- Russian title (unofficial)
- "Monkey Island 3" -- Informal name
- "MI3" -- Common abbreviation
- "La maledizione di Monkey Island" -- Italian title
- "La Malédiction De l'Ile aux Singes" -- French title
- "La Maldicion de Monkey Island" -- Spanish title
- "CMI" -- Common abbreviation
- "A Maldição da Ilha dos Macacos" -- Brazilian title
- "원숭이섬의 저주 " -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: SCUMM
- Gameplay feature: "Simon says"
- Monkey Island series
- Sound Engine: iMuse
- Theme: Sea Pirates
|More of an homage than a true conclusion||Windows||Unicorn Lynx (181699)|
|The Monkeys are Listening||Windows||Shamal Jifan (21)|
|Yet another gem in a lovable series.||Windows||Rensch (218)|
|As LucasArts is to LucasFilm, Curse is to Return of the Jedi||Windows||Lain Crowley (6786)|
|Am I the only dissenting voice here?||Windows||Shazbut (167)|
|An elephant in Ron Gilbert's porcelain shop||Windows||András Gregorik (65)|
|No Gilbert, but still rather good considering what it had to live up to.||Windows||Zovni (10644)|
|LucasArts' Heyday||Windows||swaaye (35)|
|Nice for Monkey Island fans||Windows||Czar Husk Qi (39)|
|Lovable, beautiful; a masterpiece.||Windows||Quackbal (51)|
|Adventure Corner||Windows||Oct 03, 2008||100|
|RPGFan||Windows||Oct 14, 2001||95 out of 100||95|
|Oldies Rising||Windows||Sep 08, 2008||19 out of 20||95|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||Windows||Dec 31, 1997||91 out of 100||91|
|CD-Action||Windows||Jan, 1998||9 out of 10||90|
|PC Player (Germany)||Windows||Dec, 1997||88 out of 100||88|
|PC Joker||Windows||Dec, 1997||85 out of 100||85|
|Adrenaline Vault, The (AVault)||Windows||Jan 16, 1998||80|
|World Village (Gamer's Zone)||Windows||1997||80|
|Przygodoskop||Windows||Jul 16, 2006||80|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Like a good wine...||2||Cantillon (16171)
Jul 09, 2013
1001 Video GamesThe Curse of Monkey Island appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cancelled movieThere used to be a department somewhere within Industrial Light and Magic, that was tasked with writing screenplays for animated films based on Lucasfilm's intellectual property from other media. One such screenplay was a Monkey Island movie, entitled The Curse of Monkey Island, likely loosely based on the game of the same name. In the big reorganization of Lucasfilm that occurred a couple of years ago the department was killed and the movie (still in pre-production) with it.
- A love song called "Plank of Love" was planned to be in the game but was never recorded. A stanza from the song, written by Chuck Jordan:
Elaine: "Oh, how I love you Guybrush."
Elaine: "Not even your corny jokes'll..."
Elaine: "Make me wish that I was not your bride..."
Elaine: "When you carry me 'cross your fo'c'sle!"
- In a PC Gamer sneak preview of the game, the designers admitted that Gary Coleman's character, Kenny Falmouth, was supposed to answer "What-chu talkin' about, Guybrush?" to a certain question, but they decided to remove the line since they didn't want to risk offending the former star of Diff'rent Strokes.
DevelopmentLucasArts initially designed longer end scenes for the game but due to budget and time restrains were forced to drop those plans.
Development toolsThe Curse of Monkey Island used 3 engines: SCUMM (the last LucasArts game to use it), INSANE and iMUSE.
FingersYou can notice how all the characters in the game have only four fingers on each of their hands. Hard to notice when you're too busy finishing the story, but you can check the end credits. You'll be able to see that quite clear.
- When Van Helgen is doing his guitar riff, Guybrush will pull out a lighter if you don't move him for about a minute.
- On the in-game menu there's a button which appears as disabled and it says "Enable 3D acceleration", but when you get over it with a mouse, it says "No, really, there's no 3D acceleration in this game."
German versionThe German version of the game changed the character Rottingham into "Röchelieu" (an obvious pun referring to the cardinal Richelieu, the French politician of the 17th century), and he talks with French accent. Another slight change concerned Palido Domingo, which is a parody of the famous singer Placido Domingo. In the German version it was changed into "Blasido". Why is it funny and why did they change it? Because "blas" means "pale" in German! This way, the joke is even funnier, since the name "Blasido" is more similar to "Placido" than "Palido". Other changes: the character Minestrone is called "Meistersuppe", which is "master soup", and Haggis talks with a broad Frisian accent instead of the original Scotch.
A sequence missed in the German (and Italian) version is the shanty Guybrush's crew sings in chapter three. The song itself being a tough one to translate and the fact that it's part of a (simple) dialog puzzle obviously made the German distributor decide to drop it altogether.
MacintoshAlthough no Mac version of the game was released, it is possible to play on Mac OS X using ScummVM and the game files from the PC CDs.
MurrayMurray, the demonic skeleton, was only planned to be near LeChuck's ship in the original script. But thanks to loads of positive feedback on the Curse of Monkey Island demo and some initiative of the programmers, the character was added to four other locations in the game in the last few months of development. Murray even has to be used as an inventory item to solve a puzzle at one point.
- In The Curse of Monkey Island there's a place where you can enter the 'forest' screen from original The Secret of Monkey Island. You can only see your new Guybrush head, lurking like from some hole in a tree-stump. From another place, the dying scene under water can be visited. More information about both easter eggs can be found in the tips & tricks section.
- When you enter the dialogue with LeChuck in part V of the game, Guybrush threatens LeChuck that should he kill Guybrush, there will be no more sequels and LeChuck's name will be forgotten, just like Bobbin Threadbare's. Bobbin Threadbare, of course, is the name of the main character in Loom, and thanks to the low sales of the game, there never was a sequel.
- The dead guy at Blondebeard's restaurant is none other than Manny Calavera - the main character from Grim Fandango.
References to the gameThe Curse of Monkey Island was parodied in an episode of "Die Redaktion" (The Editorial Team), a monthly comedy video produced by the German gaming magazine GameStar. It was published on the DVD of issue 02/2007.
Ron GilbertRon Gilbert, designer of the original two games of the series, said that the game was done well considering the tough job they had, but his biggest complaint was that Elaine fell in love with Guybrush. Gilbert says that Elaine thinks of Guybrush as more of a brother, and she would never do something like that.
- The church clock tower on Plunder Island always shows exact time in reality, Guybrush will tell you exactly what time is it.
- Ask Palido Domingo about how long he's been staying at the beach. The answer it will depend on the date set on your computer clock.
TranslationPuerto Pollo, one of the main areas in the game, means Port Chicken in Spanish.
- Computer Gaming World
- March 1998 (Issue #164) – Adventure Game of the Year
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/1999 - Best Adventure in 1998
Related Web Sites
- CMI Walkthrough (A walkthrough of The Curse of Monkey Island by Cindy Wells, which provides direction through both the regular and MegaMonkey modes of the game.)
- Escape from Monkey Island (A website with lots of stuff about Monkey Island.)
- Hints for Curse of Monkey Island (These hints are written so you can gradually get the help you need without spoiling the game for you.)
- LucasFans (The unofficial LucasArts fan website.)
- ScummVM (Get "Curse of Monkey Island", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.)
- The Curse of Monkey Island (Official Website)
- The Scumm Bar (A really good unofficial Monkey Island fan-club with lots of fan art, music and info about the game.)
- World Of Monkey Island (An excellent fan-club with lots of things to look at such as errors in the game, screen shots, and more.)