🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 > This is different!

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/4/2009 11:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Against my better judgement I convinced myself that I am ready for giving another jRPG a go. The choice understandably fell on P4, because of its original setting, fresh visuals, high reviews, recent release and because I have absolutely no idea what exactly it's all about. (it's my first Persona game)

Five hours into the game and it's safe to say that I haven't got a slightest clue still.

;-)

What I do know is that I really love it. The look, the feel, the style - everything is unique, bold and appealing. Yellow, I love the yellow!

RPG system itself is very interesting and I can't wait to experiment with different personas and tactics, and this Social Links systems just blow my mind with all the possibilities. The characters do tend to babble on and on, but at least the dialogue can be genuinely funny at times.

I pray to all gods and heavens that this "level grinding" and "tiresome regiment" I keep reading about in the reviews (echoing the horrifying "Bad" section of JazzOleg's Persona 3 review) won't spoil this seemingly marvellous game for me.

Donatello (466) on 1/5/2009 1:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm playing it as well (with japanese voices! I'm not a weeaboo, English just breaks the immersion). It's more polished and has tons of improvements over P3, but as a result the dungeon portions of the game feel a tad redundant, even if you don't have to spend your time in those as you do in P3's Tartaros.

I already managed to spoil the final boss by browsing Megaten wiki's Demon Compendium :/. I pride myself in the fact that I guessed it at the moment I saw main character's persona.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/6/2009 12:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Donatello wrote--] It's more polished and has tons of improvements over P3, but as a result the dungeon portions of the game feel a tad redundant, even if you don't have to spend your time in those as you do in P3's Tartaros.
[/Q --end Donatello wrote--]

Actually, I kinda like it like that, because the dungeons are not really that interesting. Not that I've been to many, so far Yukiko's castle is the only one. But I think it gives a good idea of what to expect of the usual dungeon crawling. Nevertheless, I am already eager to go on another trip to the "other side". That's good design, I say! And the game wouldn't have been so fun if there were no application for all those items, links, skills and stuff you collect in real world.

I really dig the social part. There is so much stuff to do, so you always feel busy and engaged. There's no time to do everything, so you're force to choose all the time. That's the most choice-heavy jRPG I played. Some things are a bit arbitrary, though. I mean, why can't I study or make some envelopes after talking Nanako or raiding the fridge? But those are trifles.

I also hoped that social links would be more beneficial, rather than just giving some additional experience during fusion. Talking about fusion, some parts of Persona fusing still make little sense to me. There's absolutely no telling what you may come up with during fusion, you just have to walk through every possibilities settling for persona that sucks less. This make persona gathering process a bit too pointless. How do I know if the pixie or the angel is what I need to create stronger persona? So far I just pick the ones with the higher level, regardless of its skills and fusion possibilities.

No spell points recovery ailments in the shop?! Where do you get those? How many personas should your character keep as the main force?

Donatello (466) on 1/6/2009 1:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Père Màrtyne Le Jedi wrote--] I also hoped that social links would be more beneficial, rather than just giving some additional experience during fusion.

No spell points recovery ailments in the shop?! Where do you get those? How many personas should your character keep as the main force? [/Q --end Père Màrtyne Le Jedi wrote--]

Social links with the characters from your Investigation Team have more bonuses, for example if you advance Chie's S. Link to level 2 (or 3?) she will sometimes make a bonus attack in combat. There should be more, but I'm not very far into the game, so I can't comment.

You can get spell point potions by traversing dungeons and opening chests, but later on (before the 2nd dungeon opens) you'll have the option to restore your life and SP if you have money.

I think one of the main reasons behind this design choice is the fact that unlike P3, you don't get exhausted from exploring the dungeon and thus you can grind to your heart's content.

Btw, which sports or cultural club did you choose?

What's your opinion on music?

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/6/2009 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Donatello wrote--] Btw, which sports or cultural club did you choose? [/Q --end Donatello wrote--]

I chose the music and the soccer club. I figured that both basketball and soccer improve Diligence and Strength social link, so it's no matter which you choose. While music classes provide for expression I had no access to. I can make origami cranes for understanding and that's that.

[Q --start Donatello wrote--] What's your opinion on music? [/Q --end Donatello wrote--]

I think music is great. An appealing combination of Japanese pop and pop/rock suits the setting of the game and overall TV theme just fine. The only problem is that I think I heard all the songs dozens of times already. It gets repetitive all too early.

DreinIX (10446) on 1/7/2009 2:59 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Père Màrtyne Le Jedi wrote--]Against my better judgement I convinced myself that I am ready for giving another jRPG a go. The choice understandably fell on P4, because of its original setting, fresh visuals, high reviews, recent release and because I have absolutely no idea what exactly it's all about. (it's my first Persona game)[/Q --end Père Màrtyne Le Jedi wrote--] Whoa! Wanted to play a jrpg so badly that you ordered the US version? Whoa again! :-)

Anyway, Donatello, are dungeons randomly generated like in P3? Also, you say you haven't played much but are there any chances that you know if you can play the game casually and still get all social links at max? To my disappointment this could no be done in P3 and while I did want to play the game again I couldn't find the time.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/7/2009 11:31 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--] Whoa! Wanted to play a jrpg so badly that you ordered the US version? Whoa again! :-) [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

As far as console games go my hands are usually untied. There is no distribution system here at all, not even for European releases. So, the only option for me is either download the game or pay our local pirates 5$ for it or fuck it. That much is true for every console game I've played here.

I am playing the same version Donatello does with Japanese voices, so it's a bonus too. Anyway I don't really like flashing my eyepatch, because that is certainly not something to brag about. So I deny everything! ;-)

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--] Anyway, Donatello, are dungeons randomly generated like in P3? [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

Although not directed to me, yes, the dungeons are random. But each of them appears to be tied to the particular person's psyche with its own monsters and bosses. The two dungeons I've completed are not big, about ten stories each, with each floor taking about 5 minutes to complete. And I've already clocked over 13 hours into the game.

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--] Also, you say you haven't played much but are there any chances that you know if you can play the game casually and still get all social links at max? [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

I very much doubt it. The game goes out of its way to make a point that you have carefully plan your schedule and the social links you should develop. And they certainly don't happen all of a sudden, you really must work to get them.

DreinIX (10446) on 1/7/2009 8:29 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Père Màrtyne Le Jedi wrote--] There is no distribution system here at all, not even for European releases. [/Q --end Père Màrtyne Le Jedi wrote--]That sucks.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll wait for spring.

Donatello (466) on 1/7/2009 1:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--] Anyway, Donatello, are dungeons randomly generated like in P3? Also, you say you haven't played much but are there any chances that you know if you can play the game casually and still get all social links at max? To my disappointment this could no be done in P3 and while I did want to play the game again I couldn't find the time. [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

No, you can't max all social links in one playthrough. To me it's not a problem anyway, since I don't hang out with people I find uninteresting, even if it's beneficial when fusing Personae. Social links are easier to advance though and remember to equip a correct Persona when you're going to spend some time with your friend (for example, before you agree to train with Chie, equip Persona of the Chariot arcana, that way you gain more points). Oh, and don't forget to invest in Courage if you want to hit on girls!

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/7/2009 4:12 PM · Permalink · Report

How many quests have you completed? You know, those that require you find some weird object and such. Have you performed any task for the Fox with those ema boards? I have to help some girl make some other boy happy. What's that all about?

since I don't hang out with people I find uninteresting

Which are those, I wonder? So far I really like hanging out with Chie and uncle Dojima. Others are a bit "meh", even though meetings with Yosuke and the girl playing trombone in the music class are always good for laughs.

Donatello (466) on 1/7/2009 4:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Père Màrtyne Le Jedi wrote--]How many quests have you completed? You know, those that require you find some weird object and such. Have you performed any task for the Fox with those ema boards? I have to help some girl make some other boy happy. What's that all about?

since I don't hang out with people I find uninteresting

Which are those, I wonder? So far I really like hanging out with Chie and uncle Dojima. Others are a bit "meh", even though meetings with Yosuke and the girl playing trombone in the music class are always good for laughs. [/Q --end Père Màrtyne Le Jedi wrote--]

So far, only Yukiko and the fox. I haven't met a lot of people. My favourites? Chie and Nanako. I think after you max out the S. Link with a female character you can keep her as a friend or make her your girlfriend. :P

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/7/2009 7:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

7, says lord of daedra :)

*who is currently playing through for the second time in a tiny window to get a different ending.