Not an American user?
DescriptionThe Sims is a real-time simulation game where you simulate the lives of one or more people in a family and their social activities in their immediate neighborhood.
Characters of the family may be custom created (including physical features) or simply chosen from pre-generated families. All the characters also have two age groups, children and adults. Each age group has different lifestyles, priorities and interests.
Game play in the Sims may be classified as the following:
 Life Simulation
This revolves around simulating their day-to-day lives. From eating, sleeping, entertainment, socializing and romance, you are in complete control of their actions if you choose to. Each Sim has a statistics that may be developed. Some of which identify certain desires the Sim in mention may require. Your role in simulating their lives is primarily to keep them happy by fulfilling their desires.
Controlling the Sims people is optional, as they follow their own Artificial Intelligence unless commanded otherwise by the player.
 The Architect
Designing and furnishing your home is an integral part of the game play. Pre-generated houses may be purchased at the beginning of the game, or you can design and build your future home from scratch. Furnishing consists of acquiring various items that may be manipulated by your Sims to fulfill their needs. Designing houses and furnishing costs money, which may be obtained through jobs.
 Character Development and Careers
Adult Sims may acquire jobs to pay for the many necessities of living a simulated life. There are several different job track available, from Entertainment, Law Enforcement, Politics and even a life of crime! Promotion in a job requires the Sim to advance in certain statistics (e.g. Charisma, Strength) which may be done so by manipulating the various items available for purchase.
- "模拟人生" -- Simplified Chinese spelling
- "The Dollhouse Simulator" -- Informal development title
- "Tactical Domestic Simulator" -- Informal development title
- "SimPeople" -- Japanese title
- "Sim Dollhouse" -- Informal development title
- "Project X" -- Informal development title
- "Los Sims" -- Spanish title
- "Les Sims" -- French title
- "Home Tactics" -- Informal development title
- "Dollhouse" -- Earliest working title
- "Die Sims" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Repetition
- Gameplay feature: Having children
- Gameplay feature: Interior decorating
- Genre: Simulation - Human life
- Maxis Sim series
- The Sims 1 series
- The Sims franchise
|Welcome to The Sims universe. You're never going to leave.||Windows||Matt Neuteboom (989)|
|What do you do when your Sim's life is more important than your own...?||Windows||Vaelor (381)|
|"We Create Worlds"...the Origin legacy continues...||Windows||Indra was here (20905)|
|The Sims is what you desire it to be!||Windows||Stephanie B. (4)|
|A cult-favorite People Simulator fun for an entire family.||Windows||Ray Soderlund (3608)|
|How many expansions are they going to make for this game?!||Windows||Aaron Jones (16)|
|Maxis released another masterpiece.||Windows||ZombieDepot (48)|
|The best Sim game yet||Windows||Dragoon (107)|
|One of the biggest disappointments of my life, but a really good game nonetheless.||Windows||SebastianLi (55)|
|Game industry News (GiN)||Windows||2000||100|
|Entertainment Weekly||Windows||Feb 18, 2000||A+||100|
|GameSpot||Windows||Feb 11, 2000||9.1 out of 10||91|
|Computer Games Magazine||Windows||Feb 08, 2000||90|
|GameStar (Germany)||Windows||Feb, 2000||87 out of 100||87|
|GameSpy||Windows||Feb 12, 2000||86 out of 100||86|
|Fragland.net||Windows||Sep 18, 2002||83.8 out of 100||84|
|Mac Ledge||Macintosh||Aug 18, 2000||4 out of 5||80|
|Just Games Retro||Windows||Jul 01, 2014||80|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, Sims 5, MAC Users||1||MACUser8
Dec 28, 2014
1001 Video GamesThe PC version of The Sims appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
3D Realms3D Realms have released a skin pack for The Sims featuring their trademark action hero - Duke Nukem. The pack could be downloaded off their site at www.3drealms.com
- The Sims was originally going to be called "Home Tactics," and would have an entirely different focus. Will Wright originally designed it to be completely about building houses. When someone suggested a feature involving letting people move in to determine the quality of the house, the focus completely changed. Developers were having more fun watching the people than building the house. The design goals were directed towards Sims, and architecture was left as a side bonus.
- According to the March 2002 edition of Wired Magazine, Will Wright and his development team had to develop what he called a "happiness landscape." By using this landscape, The Sim People could map and identify what items would satisfy any pending needs. It also permitted Sims to prioritize what needs were more pending. Will Wright stated that he went around his house, doing an inventory of objects and how he needed them so he could map out the landscape in the game.
- The Sims was also meant as a satire on suburban life and consumerism. In a clip from "Charlie Brooker's How Videogames Changed the World", Will Wright has stated that "It was actually meant as a satire of U.S. culture, and I think most people didn't get that". An example he gives, is that the player is supposed to buy objects and furniture in the game to make the Sims happy, but inevitably the furniture will break or catch on fire making the Sims miserable instead.
ExtrasAfter managing a household for 100 days you will be rewarded with information etc. about the creators of the game.
InspirationThe game's most obvious progeny is Little Computer People.
MusicYou can put your own MP3s in the music folder in the game's directory and they will be played on the radio.
NudityAlthough Sims are censored (their image blurred) when naked, there's an unofficial patch known as The Sims Nude Patch that eliminates censorship. You can find it at several fan sites.
PC Gamer fake reviewIn the April 2003 issue of PC Gamer, The editors faked a review for a phony expansion called "The Liebermans." In the June 2003 issue of PC Gamer, The editors revealed that their prank fooled a lot of people, including the political beat reporter for the Hartford Courant, The local news in the city where Senator Lieberman's office is located.
Pre-order bonusIf you pre-ordered the game at Electronics Boutique, you received a bonus disc containing different skins and a mini-strategy guide.
ReferencesShiny Things Inc., a company that makes kitchen appliances and other shiny things in the game, makes a guest appearance in the Sim City series as one of the industrial structures that can be built in your city. Malcolm Landgraab, the head of Shiny Things Inc., makes a guest appearance in The Sims for the console systems.
SalesThe game is listed in the 2008 Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition as the best selling PC game of all time, with 16 million sales worldwide since the original launch.
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2001 (Issue #201) – Game of the Year
- November 2003 (Issue #232) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue #100) - #80 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
- 2000 – Strategy Game of the Year
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 02/2001 - Most Innovative Game in 2000
- PC Gamer
- October 2001 - #11 in the "Top 50 Games of All Time" list
- April 2005 - #23 in the "!50 Best Games of All Time" list
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/2001 - Best Economic Simulation in 2000
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland
- August 31, 2003 - Gold Award (details in "Sales" section)
Related Web Sites
- 7 Deadly Sims (Hugely comprehensive fansite with downloadable items, skins, building materials, and much more.)
- 8th Deadly Sim (The 8th Deadly Sim is the paysite counterpart to 7 Deadly Sims. For a small token fee you can download hundreds of amazing objects, skins, building materials and lots more!)
- Around the Sims (Can't get enough of that fresh downloadable content for The Sims? Here's another Sims fansite!)
- Coasters (An all inclusive site with houses, skins, fashions and more. News too)
- devisraad.com: The Sims (Download unique skins and furnishings from devisraad.com's Sims page.)
- IGCD Internet Game Cars Database (Game page on IGCD, a database that tries to archive vehicles found in video games.)
- KillerSims (A Great Mall for your Sims)
- Sim Dudes Online (The site is said to be updated every Monday with great new Skins, Walls, Floors, Roofs, Houses, Paintings, and Objects. )
- SimFreaks (Yes, even more amazing new unique downloadable content for The Sims!)
- SIMplyDariene (Walls, Floors, Paintings and Objects, Murals, Objects, The Lollipop Shop, All That Glitters, FAQs, How-To Tutorial, Links)
- Sims in a Bottle (A site with Cool Original Objects, tons of Wallpaper Sets, Floors, and Cheats.)
- Simulation Sims (Another fantastic fansite full of downloadable new Sims content!)
- thesims.be.tf (This site gives Overhead cabinets Plus loads of sets of same color furniture and a very useful program called Sims Object ID to check to see if an object has an uniqe ID number)
- The Sim Sisters (A unique site about The Sims that is theme-based around a Church. Art Gallery, Paintings, Skins, Nuns, Priests, Religious Items, Disney, and News)
- The Sims Resource (Another huge fansite choc full of new downloadable content for The Sims!)
- The Sims Tattoo Parlor (Site contains Tattoos, Clothing and Swimming Suits, Floors, Walls, Paintings, Guest Skins, Objects, FAQs, Links,)
- The Well Dressed Sim (A Sims fansite specifically dedicated to fashion and the fashionable. Download stunning new clothing, salon items, home decor and more!)
- Who Needs the Networks? (An Apple Games article about the Macintosh version of The Sims (August, 2000).)
Windows Credits (208 people)
150 developers, 58 thanks
Patrick J. Barrett III, Eric Bowman, Jamie Doornbos, Don Hopkins, David Oester, Trevor Perrin, Paul Wilkinson, Alex ZvenigorodskyGraphics / Artwork:
Margaret Foley‑Mauvais, Dan Goldman, Stefan Gustafsson, Minds Eye Media, New Pencil Inc, Ocean QuigleyMusic: