antstream
Written by  :  r h (15)
Written on  :  Jan 03, 2007

read more reviews by r h

Summary

I liked this game

The Good

It's a good first-person game--makes it feel like you're really skating out there on the ice among the other players. I like the sound effects. Graphics are somewhat similar (due to the rotating playing surface) to the SNES college basketball game that I really enjoyed as well.

The Bad

I found it very hard to score. The rotation of the screen/rink is very realistic, but also makes it tough to control the puck sometimes, especially on turnovers. And the perspective makes it hard to see other players to pass to sometimes. But these are VERY minor complaints.

The Bottom Line

This game is a lot of fun. Easy to learn, simple controls, unique 3D perspective of the action. Players are well-animated, especially on checks and shooting and skating. The sound effects make it sound like you're in a rink--the sound of the puck hitting the boards or the ice is pretty realistic. There were many well-done hockey games for the SNES, but this might be my favorite.

antstream