Not an American user?
DescriptionEarth is under attack from rows of bomb dropping aliens, and you need to defend it! The rows of aliens begin at the top of the screen, and you control a laser cannon at the bottom of the screen. Your goal is to earn points by shooting the aliens before they can land. The aliens march back and forth, and each time the end of the screen is reached they will drop one row closer to the bottom. Shoot them all, and you move on to the next (tougher) level, but if even one of them lands the game is over. From time to time a flying saucer will pass by along the top of the screen; shoot this to earn extra points. Just above your laser cannon are three shields; these can be used to hide from the alien's bombs, but will also block your own shots. You begin the game with a limited number of laser cannons, and if all of them are bombed the game ends.
There are no promo images for this game
- "太空侵略者" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Space Monsters" -- Working title
- "Invasores do Espaço" -- Brazilian title
- "Invasion" -- Sidam Italian release
Part of the Following Groups
|Lives up to the original Arcade game!||Atari 2600||vedder (54542)|
|One of the original shoot-em-ups, that proves to be much difficult than the rest||NES||Katakis | カタキス (42104)|
|The Video Game Critic||Atari 5200||Jul 16, 2004||A||100|
|All Game Guide||Arcade||1998||100|
|Woodgrain Wonderland||Atari 2600||Feb 11, 2018||A+||100|
|Atari HQ||Atari 2600||2001||9 out of 10||90|
|neXGam||Atari 2600||Jun 27, 2013||8.8 out of 10||88|
|The Atari Times||Atari 2600||Oct 20, 2003||85 out of 100||85|
|Atari Gamer - XL-XE Game Review Edition||Atari 8-bit||Dec, 2013||8 out of 10||80|
|Retro Gamer||iPhone||May 21, 2009||70 out of 100||70|
|The Game Hoard||Arcade||Mar 14, 2020||4 out of 7||57|
|The Atari Times||Atari 5200||Mar 10, 2005||53 out of 100||53|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Sound volume in arcade version||1||Servo (57358)
Aug 27, 2014
1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Space Invaders appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Atari 2600 versionSpace Invaders for the Atari 2600 was the first home license of a coin-op video game. It is said that people were buying Atari 2600 just so they could play the game at home.
CharactersThe "space" invaders are creatures from the sea-octopi, squid, and crabs. The resemblance is much easier to spot in the coin-op version.
CoinsIt is rumored that the arcade version of this game was responsible for a coin shortage in Japan upon it's initial release.
Movie plansIn 2014, Warner Brothers secured the movie rights to Space Invaders and attached Akiva Goldsman, Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell to produce through Weed Road and Safehouse Pictures, respectively.
References to the game
- Space Invaders is referenced in the Futurama episode Anthology of Interest II. The episode consists of three shorts; one of which involves Fry asking the "what-if" machine "what if life was more like a video game." The "Invaders" are actually alien spacecrafts. There is a scene that recreates the game; the scene even involves Fry shooting through his own shield.
- In an episode of The Simpsons TVS show titled "Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part Two" there is a mention of Space Invaders in this exchange between Groundskeeper Willie and Chief Wiggum:
Willie: It's impossible for me to fire a pistol. If you'll check me medical records, you'll see I have a cripplin' arthritis in me index fingerrrs. Look at 'em! [holds them up] I got it from "Space Invaders" in 1977.
Wiggum: Aw, yeah. That was a pretty addictive video game.
Willie: [surprised] Video game?
- The arcade version of the game is referenced in Iain Banks 1984 novel The Wasp Factory.
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #6 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue #46 - #14 in the "Top 25 Atari 2600 Games" poll
Related Web Sites
- Official site of the franchise (Square Enix) (Information about the licenses, merchandise and games.)
- Space Invaders 35th anniversary (Japanese) (Taito Corporation Japan)
- The International Arcade Museum (Extensive information about the arcade game machine.)
- The Ultimate Space Invaders Shrine (Fansite dedicated to the classic space shooter.)
- Wikipedia: Space Invaders (Information about Space Invaders at Wikipedia)
Arcade Credits (1 people)