DescriptionAfter travelling back and forth through time in the previous game, Roger Wilco is back in the Starfleet Academy, serving as both a cadet and a janitor. Cheating his way through the Starfleet Aptitude Test, Roger is finally given the rank of captain, his own ship (a garbage scow) and a mission: to explore strange new worlds (which no man in his right mind would explore), to seek out new life and new civilizations (which grew out of the massive amounts of trash Roger will collect on his way), to boldly go where no man has gone before. Step by step Roger will have to unveil a galaxy-wide biohazardous material dumping scheme, solve the mystery of the disappearance of a fellow Starfleet captain and his ship, and confront an agent of an old nemesis.
Space Quest V: The Next Mutation is an adventure game in the Space Quest series. Like its brethren, it is characterized by humorous writing and situations, as well as plenty of opportunities for the hero to die horribly. The game is entirely mouse-controlled: the player interacts with the world by clicking on locations, people and objects on the screen, cycling between various actions (walking, looking, touching or taking, talking, etc.), by clicking the right mouse button or using the icon bar. The latter also contains icons that allow the player to access Roger's inventory, quit the game or change the settings.
Commands for smelling and tasting have been removed, but a special icon for giving orders has been added. It can be used on any object or character in the game, but its actual purpose is to issue specific commands to the crew members: Roger's garbage scow, the Eureka, has a crew over which he presides. The game is plot-driven and contains cutscenes done in a comic book-like style. Plot development is linear, but each planet the protagonist visits usually consists of several screens and contains its own objectives and puzzles. There are also hazardous situations that may occur on the spaceship itself and must be dealt with.
There are no promo images for this game
- "SQ5" -- Common abbreviated / informal title
- "Space Quest 5: La Siguiente Mutación" -- Spanish title
- "Space Quest 5: La Mutation Suivante" -- French title
- "Space Quest 5: Die nächste Mutation" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: Sierra's Creative Interpreter (SCI)
- Genre: Board game - Battleship
- Setting: Space station / Spaceship
- Space Quest series
|PC Games (Germany)||Apr, 1993||90 out of 100||90|
|Pelit||Mar, 1993||89 out of 100||89|
|Tilt||Mar, 1993||17 out of 20||85|
|Adventure Gamers||Sep 03, 2010||80|
|Power Play||Apr, 1993||77 out of 100||77|
|PC Player (Germany)||Apr, 1993||77 out of 100||77|
|Play Time||1993||74 out of 100||74|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||Aug 21, 1998||3 out of 5||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaWhen you need to rescue Cliffy near Thrakus; waste all the fuel of your EVA pod before you get him. You'll get caught by the planet's gravity and crash. The camera shifts towards the surface of Thrakus and shows two mushrooms have a conversation as they watch Roger come down:
Mushroom # 1: "Ah look, Crumpella a shooting star. Make a wish."
Mushroom # 2: "Ok. Slep. I wish... I wish... I wish I had never bought Rexx Nebular."
I guess Sierra didn't like Microprose's Space Quest rip-off Rex Nebular and The Cosmic Gender Bender :->
Related Web Sites
- Haelstorm's Space Quest Page (Welcome, all you Space Quest fans out there.)
- Hints for SQ5 (These hints will help you solve the game without spoiling it for you.)
- Planet Rog (Welcome to the other side of the Space Quest universe!)
- Sierra Planet (Contains interesting facts plus a walkthrough and complete game map)
- SpaceQuest.Net - Space Quest 5 (Extremely comprehensive site about Space Quest 5: Basic game information, hints, documentation, downloads and behind the scenes stuff, for example a downloadable PDF manual, scans of the official hint book, easter eggs, fun facts, cancelled stuff etc. etc. etc.)
- The Space Quest Universe 2 (The Space Quest Universe 2)