🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Star Control II > PC speaker support.

Virgil (8563) on 6/15/2007 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I found out in a manual, that with particular(STARCON2 /s:Internal) key I can force game to use PC Speaker, as a sound device. I tried both in dosbox and Windows with no luck, does anybody know if it's working?

Servo (57070) on 6/16/2007 12:51 PM · Permalink · Report

This game heavily tweaks the pc speaker to play some decent digitzed music/sound, there is little to no chance it will work correctly on a modern pc. The small, cheap, barely existent speaker and the modern cpu and os really screw things up for the tweaking which was designed for older 286/386 dos systems with a real speaker.. DosBox usually emulates tweaked modes, I don't know why that isn't working (doesn't work for me either in PC speaker mode). Could just be DosBox's emulation isn't 100% accurate enough for this game or there's some config setting wrong.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/16/2007 3:32 PM · Permalink · Report

If it has to be activated with a command line argument, it's likely that the DOSBox developers don't even know about it. Maybe you should ask in their forums about it.

I tried it myself and could only get some clicking noises

Servo (57070) on 6/17/2007 11:25 AM · Permalink · Report

It's completely irrelevent whether or not a command line argument is needed. If you were to turn off all sound card support in the Dosbox config file the game would use internal speaker sound without the command line argument.