Not an American user?
DescriptionStreets of Rage, Sega's answer to Final Fight, follows the story of three young police officers (Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding) in a city controlled by a criminal syndicate led by a "Mr. X" where crime is rampant, which leads the three heroes to make a pact to leave the force and topple the syndicate by themselves.
Gameplay is straightforward and simple. Three buttons are used, one to jump, other to attack and another to perform a range attack from a support police car. Each character has a limited set of moves that include punching and kicking or performing a back attack (if in the open), two grapple moves (depending if holding the opponent in front or by the back), a flying attack, and if playing with another player two additional tag attacks, and different abilities: Adam is slow, but a good jumper and a hard hitter, Axel fast and also a hard hitter, but a lousy jumper and Blaze fast and a good jumper, but weak hitter. Levels are in typical arcade side-scroller fashion: move from left to right (with two exceptions), clearing screens from enemies one after another as fast as possible while avoid taking damage with a boss in the end. Some levels feature "death drops" where the player must avoid falling, while throwing enemies there at the same time, including a typical elevator level. Several items are scattered on the ground, from melee weapons and bonus points (and lives or additional police cars) to apples and turkeys (to restore health).
- "ベア・ナックル 怒りの鉄拳" -- Japanese spelling
- "Streets of Rage Classic" -- Android / iOS title
- "SoR" -- Informal abbreviation
- "DSWAT" -- Working title
- "Bare Knuckle: Ikari no Tekken" -- Japanese title
- "3D Streets of Rage" -- Nintendo 3DS title
- "스트리트 오브 레이지 (베어너클)" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Console Generation Exclusive: Sega Genesis
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Games referenced in movies
- SEGA Forever series
- SEGA Vintage Collection series
- Streets of Rage / Bare Knuckle series
|Interesting start||Genesis||Luis Silva (13595)|
|Great game, could have been better though.........||Genesis||DudeOfMonson (118)|
|A great fighting game during a dismal year for Sega.||Genesis||Majestic Lizard (676)|
|The Foundation of one of the best beat em up series ever||Genesis||Mr. Huh (112)|
|It's time for some rage in the streets||Genesis||Classic Nigel (150)|
|Taking it to the streets...||Genesis||MasterMegid (902)|
|Bleedin' awesome.||Genesis||Tomer Gabel (4634)|
|streets of rage--release your rage||Genesis||paul cairey (359)|
|A pretty good conversion||SEGA Master System||Gary Smith (15)|
|Classic scrolling beat-em-up||SEGA Master System||william sterry (6)|
|The 'Tude Dude||Genesis||2018||100|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Genesis||Oct, 1991||93 out of 100||93|
|Retro Game Reviews||Genesis||Dec 17, 2015||90|
|FNintendo||Wii||Jun 01, 2011||9 out of 10||90|
|Hobby Consolas||Game Gear||Dec, 1992||89 out of 100||89|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Genesis||Oct, 1991||10 out of 12||83|
|Retrogaming.it||Genesis||Mar 05, 2008||8 out of 10||80|
|Power Play||Game Gear||Dec, 1992||72 out of 100||72|
|All Game Guide||Game Gear||2007||60|
|Retro Game Reviews||Game Gear||Dec 18, 2015||30|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|DSWAT||5||雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- (60599)
Jul 20, 2013
- Many in-game sounds and even the main font were lifted directly from Revenge of Shinobi.
- In difficult situations, you can press the 'special attack' button. A cop will drive by in a car and set the entire environment on fire with a rocket launcher. The artwork of the police car may look familiar, it's exactly the same car used in E-SWAT: Cyber Police, an older SEGA arcade title which also got converted to the Mega Drive.
- The game is referenced in the second episode of the second season of the US Netflix series Narcos. Pablo Escobar can be seen playing the game with his son on a Genesis system. He gives his son instructions and comments on having to fight a woman.
ReleaseOne of the few games to be packed in with the Genesis.
Soundtrack on vinyl LPIn summer 2015, Data Discs released a vinyl soundtrack with the remastered soundtrack from the game. The remasterings were done in collaboration with the composer of the original game tracks Yuzo Koshiro. The LP features 16 tracks, 8 on each side. The recording were made from the original NEC PC-88 files, as well as a sampling from the Yamaha YM2612 chip of the Mega Drive/Genesis console.
(Source: Product description on Data Discs website, LP at Discogs)
Information also contributed by Jo and Robbb
Related Web Sites
Genesis Credits (18 people)
12 developers, 6 thanks
Game Designed By:
Cover Artwork by:
Hiroshi Momota (Momonga Momo), Little SunDesigned By:
Takayuki Nakamura (T.N)Special Thanks To:
Cover Artwork by: