Not an American user?
DescriptionAfter Axel Stone, Blaze Fielding and Adam Hunter destroyed the evil Syndicate leader, Mr. X, the city became a peaceful place to live, and each one of them followed their own paths. One year later, after their reunion, Adam's brother Sammy returned from school to find their apartment in a mess, and Adam nowhere to be seen, and after calling his two friends, one of them notices a photo of Adam chained to a wall, next to someone they knew very well - Mr. X, who returned to turn the peaceful city once again into a war zone. Now, Axel, Blaze, Sammy, and Axel's good friend Max, a pro wrestler, must head out to stop Mr. X once again...hopefully for good...
Streets of Rage 2 differs from the previous title in several ways. There are changes in both graphics (characters now are bigger, more detailed and with more animation frames, and scenarios are less grainy) and gameplay (the rocket move was replaced by a special move that doubles in offense and defense along several new moves), along other new features such as life bars (and names) for all enemies and the radically different new characters.
- "Streets of Rage II" -- European title
- "SoR 2" -- Informal abbreviation
- "ベアナックルII" -- Japanese spelling
- "Bare Knuckle II" -- Japanese title
- "3D Streets of Rage 2" -- Nintendo 3DS title
Part of the Following Groups
- Console Generation Exclusive: Sega Genesis
- SEGA Forever series
- SEGA Vintage Collection series
- Streets of Rage / Bare Knuckle series
|The dev team have managed to hit the sweet spot between diversity and simplicity||Genesis||Elliott Wu (44)|
|Move over Final Fight...||Genesis||Majestic Lizard (676)|
|Taking The Streets To The Bare Knuckle||Genesis||MasterMegid (902)|
|Best of the bunch||Genesis||Luis Silva (13592)|
|The Legendary Beat em up. The game that topples Final Fight||Genesis||Mr. Huh (112)|
|Kick-Ass Brawler||Genesis||ETJB (455)|
|Best of the Streets of Rage trilogy||Genesis||Gary Smith (65)|
|Is This the Best 16-bit Brawler?||Wii||So Hai (371)|
|Great fighting game||Genesis||The Holy Moly (21)|
|Best fighting game ever.||Genesis||Exeox (45)|
|Retro Game Reviews||Genesis||Nov 24, 2014||100|
|United Front Gaming||Nintendo 3DS||Oct 08, 2015||8.8 out of 10||88|
|SegaFan.com||Genesis||Jul 02, 2005||8.7 out of 10||87|
|neXGam||Game Gear||Dec 27, 2009||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Video Games||Game Gear||Oct, 1993||83 out of 100||83|
|Play Time||Genesis||Apr, 1993||82 out of 100||82|
|GameSpot||Xbox 360||Aug 30, 2007||8 out of 10||80|
|Retro Archives||Game Gear||Sep 26, 2017||16 out of 20||80|
|Sega Power||Game Gear||Dec, 1993||60|
|Digital Press - Classic Video Games||SEGA Master System||Mar 20, 2005||6 out of 10||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Cut fighting movesIn early beta versions of Streets of Rage 2, Axel had two very different (and familiar) attacks: a move VERY similar to a Shotokan Dragon Punch, and...a Shotokan Hurricane Kick?
Looks like Sega axed them for good reason: legal action from Capcom for unauthorized teachings of Shotokan moves to their characters. (Shotokan, by the way, is the fighting technique Ryu, Ken, and Akuma use in Capcom's Street Fighter series).
MC.KIn Stage 1, there is an enemy called MC.K who only appears once in the entire game. He is worth about 10,000 points, much more than any other non-boss character.
MusicYuzo Koshiro claims to have been influenced by early 90's European club music while producing the soundtrack for SoR 2. This is mostly visible with the music in the first part of level 4, which bears an uncanny resemblance with the dance hit Move Any Mountain by The Shamen, released two years before.
- Two fat thugs in the game are called Talk and Wanter. They're named after Talk Uchimura (Planning & System design) and Wanta (Project management).
- Before the Round 4 Stadium, you can see a sign that says "It's like Boo!". This may be a reference to "Fat Boo" from Dragonball Z, which looks an awful lot like the SoR2 character Big Ben.
- The character Skate resembles DJ Boy (from the game DJ Boy, another side-scrolling beat-em-up game). This arcade game developed by Kaneko was later published by Sega on the megadrive. In fact, Sega changed the name of the character from 'Sammy' in Bare Knuckle 2 (Japanese release) into Skate in Streets of Rage 2 (US release) and the US publisher for the Megadrive conversion of DJ Boy was the company "Sammy".
- It's no coincidence that the fat enemies in the game often go by the name of 'Heart'. It's a reference to the popular manga Fist of the North Star (Hokuto No Ken), which featured an extremely overweight martial artist also called Heart.
- Sammy "Skate" Hunter was renamed to Eddie "Skate" Hunter in the U.S. and European versions of the game.
- Max Thunder, the hulking pro wrestler, doesn't appear in the 8-bit versions (Game Gear and SMS) of SoR2.
- Only in the Japan version, the final boss smokes a cigar
- In the US version, the jump kick animation of Blaze was changed. Originally her legs are wider apart and reveal her panties.
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #64 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Game Map (Game Gear) on SMS Power! (Maps of all the levels of the Game Gear version.)
- Game Map (Sega Master System) on SMS Power! (Maps of all the levels of the Master System version.)
- OC ReMix Game Profile (Fan remixes of music from Streets of Rage 2.)
- Video review of Sega Game Gear and some games (Mike Matai reviews the Sega Game Gear and some games, including Streets of Rage 2 on Game Gear.)
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for Streets of Rage 2.)