Not an American user?
DescriptionThe people of Gradius are in trouble. The ameoboid Bacterions have launched an all out attack against the planet, and it's up to you to fly into battle and save them. Along the way you'll be able to power up your ship with hyper speed, force fields, lasers, missiles, double beam cannons and more to help you battle.
Gradius is a side-scrolling shooter. Shooting certain enemies will leave a power up pod behind which can be collected to add more power to your ship. Each level features a wide variety of enemies trying to stop you, with a large boss at the end. Gameplay is for one player or two players alternating.
- "宇宙巡航机" -- Simplified Chinese spelling
- "Nemesis" -- European Arcade & Computer title
- "Arcade Archives: Gradius" -- PS4 / Switch title
- "アーケードアーカイブス グラディウス" -- Japanese PS4 / Switch spelling
- "グラディウス" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Arcade Archives series
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Genre: Scrolling shoot 'em up
- Gradius series
- Video games turned into board / card games
There are no reviews for this game.
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Feb, 1992||92 out of 100||92|
|All Game Guide||1998||80|
|Retro Archives||Nov 14, 2018||13.5 out of 20||68|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Gradius(arcade) released for Windows(via Steam) in Konami's Arcade Classics||1||Andrew Fisher (707)
Aug 22, 2022
|PC Engine credits||6||Freeman (66413)
Apr 10, 2019
1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Gradius appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Arcade versionThe coin-op arcade version of this game was such a success, rumor has it that it caused a coin shortage in Japan.
BBC Micro conversionA & B Computing reported in 1987 about a BBC Micro port that was developed, but never finished. The programmer was later revealed to be Kenton Price.
Game Art BeyondIn 2018, Nemesis was selected as one of the biggest classics on the Commodore 64 by the creators of the C64 graphics collection Game Art Beyond. Nemesis was honoured with a high resolution title picture (based on the original arcade game artwork) in a special C64 graphics format called NUFLI, along with a new C64 SID interpretation of the Level 1 theme (incl. Start of Stage prelude).
Konami CodeThe NES version was the first game to use the famous Konami Code.
NES versionIn the arcade game, players could carry up to four options. Due to technical limits of the NES, here they can only have two.
X68000 supplementGradius was bundled with the X68000 computer in Japan, which enforces its status as a "killer app".
- Power Play
- 1987 - #3 Best C64 Game '87
- Issue 01/1990 - Best Nintendo Game in 1989
Related Web Sites
- 2006 Retro Remakes Competition (A complete Windows remake of Nemesis/Gradius was one of the entries.)
- Planet Gradius (A fansite containing game-related info, artwork and music, plus some emulations of Konami's games.)
Oyn (2701) added Gradius (TurboGrafx-16) on May 28, 2005
Credits (11 people)
8 developers, 3 thanks
Kazuki Muraoka (H. Muraoka)Producer:
Akihiko Nagata (A. Nagata)Special Thanks to: