Forums > Game Forums > Loom > freeware ?

Wormspinal (619) on 2/7/2008 10:10 PM · Permalink · Report

has this game gone freeware yet ? like other products from Lucasfilm Games seem to be doing lately i mean..

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/7/2008 10:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Try not to confuse "freeware" with "abandonware"; to the best of my knowledge, all of Lucasfilm's games remain their exclusive property and distributing them remains illegal. As close as you might get is the demos for their games over at scummvm and the handful of since-rereleased-as-freeware adventure games in a similar style but by other companies also supported by that virtual machine.

It would really be thrilling if old Lucasfilm games were released as freeware, but considering that they pulled the plug on the Maniac Mansion Deluxe fangame, their actions suggest they're not ready to release the reins of exclusive dominion over commercially defunct software quite yet.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/7/2008 10:38 PM · Permalink · Report

just to be clear: I'm a big fan of oldwarez and software piracy, but since it does involve breaking the law I think it should be done deliberately and from an informed perspective. If you want to pirate this game, I say go for it: it's an excellent game that's commercially unavailable and likely to remain that way... but don't fool yourself about its legal status 8)